Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Great Bald Eagle


Today I took my kids to the Lindsay Wildlife Museum. It is a really expensive museum, and is basically a smallish room filled with some dead birds. Luckily for us, we are "members" so we got in for free. But still, it is a smallish room with mostly dead, stuffed, small animals and a few alive ones.

HOWEVER, today they had a BALD EAGLE. It was really cool. Those birds are huge! And very amazing to look at. We spent a long time watching it and listening to the guide tell us its whole story.

In case you wanted to know, this particular bald eagle is living at the Lindsay Wildlife Museum because it was electrocuted and lost a wing in 1992. So it cannot live in the wild. It was strange to see a bald eagle with only one wing. But I really enjoyed watching this incredible animal, which also happens to be the symbol of our country. I decided that the bald eagle is one of my favorite animals.

Later that night we had dinner at my parents house. As the dinner conversation moved along we came upon the topic of the BALD EAGLE. And to my astonishment I discovered that my dad also loves the bald eagle! In fact, he once saw one, at church, during an "eagle court of honor", and to this day he sites that experience as one of the greatest moments he's had at church, ever.

I was surprised to learn this new fact about my dad. I was also very surprised to hear that there was once a LIVE EAGLE at an "eagle court of honor" at our church. Then my sister surprised me even more by telling me that she had once been to an "eagle court of honor" where there was a LIVE EAGLE. She also told me that the boy scouts who had just been awarded their eagle rank, stood under the birds outstretched wings at the end of the ceremony!
Amazing... wouldn't you say?

I think this should be a standard for all "Eagle Courts of Honor". It would make them more interesting and would most definitely boost attendance. I mean I, for one, would attend every "court if honor" that I could if I knew there was going to be a GREAT BALD EAGLE there also. I'm pretty sure my dad would go, too.




Look at its huge wing span!




*****

13 comments:

Rochelleht said...

So, has the eagle replaced the cow?

D-dawg said...

Rochelle.... I'll have to think about that one. Maybe I should do a blog on the cow and then you will see why I like them so much! (o:

Mindy said...

I've never thought much about the bald eagle, but that top picture is so beautiful! Was that a picture from the museum? Wow! What a cool experience. I think there definitely should be eagles at the courts of honor. I guess we should start figuring it out now in anticipation for our boys.

angie said...

I love this post! Wow! I didn't know that fact about dad either. I am so glad you learned so much about the Bald Eagle. They are amazing. Birds are my favorite animals. They are beautiful! I am glad that you are over the "cow"!

Anonymous said...

D-dawg! I just have to say one thing... You are hilarious! I tell all my friends to check out your blog b/c you are so funny with your entries! I was laughing as I read this. However- I too think they should have a LIVE Blad Eagle at every court of honor. The scouts could buy a few and then people could drive them around to borrow them from court of honor to court of honor! Beautiful wing span!

Anonymous said...

haha denae this is funny. I was mostly laughing as i remembered last night and you laughing so hard when dad said it was the best church experience he'd ever had. Mom: what about are temple marriage? hahaha p.s brett gets home in 3 hours!

devin said...

After the comment last night, I also think Dad would attend many "court of honors" if they included "eagle presentations".

Natalie said...

Too funny that your dad actually saw one at a court of honor! My kids LOVE bald eagles. Whenever we see one, we end up dropping everything so that we can just stare and admire.

Lesley said...

How funny! I too get a kick out of your blog entries Denae! Thanks for making my day! They are a very pretty, incredible bird. Glad you were able to learn more about them at the museum. So Brett gets home in 3 hours?!!!! WOW!!! Have a great time with him and tell him we say hi!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Denae, you are funny. I love how you really get into things! I must admit though, the bald eagle is a very impressive bird!

Unknown said...

You are so funny Denae! I didn't think you were much of a bird lover...:) I guess I was wrong! I just have to tell you - the other morning I woke up to bird squawking, something that hasn't happened for a long time thanks to the pellet gun. I was trying to be annoyed, but just sat there laughing thinking of your "Anti-Squawk" blog!

Celia Fae said...

When the men sit in the Eagle's Nest at a Court of Honor, it is all I can do not to pretend to fly around and make bird calls. A live eagle would definitely add dignity.

Katherine said...

You make me want to go see a bald eagle. That is so cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails