Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Primary Program



(picture of Lexi to come... she was MIA when I took these)

On Sunday our church had our primary program (a whole hour that the kids put on to tell us what they've learned this year).

I was so proud of my kids for working hard to memorize their speaking parts.

Nothing warms a mom's heart like seeing your child up on stage doing a good job. Both Macey and Logan were asked to sing a little solo. I had already had an emotional morning (I was literally crying over a cheesy 80's church movie, "Saturday's Warriors" that my kids were watching at one point).

Sitting in the audience watching my little kids sing songs about Jesus and hearing their precious little voices conjured up extreme emotions for me and I had to work hard to hold the tears in. I will be forever sad that I couldn't video tape it and don't have that memory on film to re-live.

Macey's solo was a full verse but after her solo she stood at the mic and sang all three verses of the song while the kids in the background sang along. She remembered every word and her little voice was so sweet, and she was so confident but nervous too, I think. It was so darling. Logan can carry a tune very well but is usually so quiet. Brother F was motioning for him to be louder and he really gave it his all and we could actually hear him. I was proud of him for pushing himself. He was nervous but I'm so glad he decided to do it.

You know as a mom you love your kids always but lots of times you're just going through life kinda like "meh- kids are just kids" and you forget how you worshipped them when they were tiny? And then you have a moment where that worship comes back and you're overwhelmed with their sweetness and goodness and you feel so blessed that they're yours and you love them so much more for a few weeks? That's what I'm going through. This week I've thought everything they've done is cute and I know it's because the memory of them singing their little hearts out is still fresh in my mind.

One thing I love about my kids is their enthusiasm for doing things. I told them that we were going to memorize their speaking parts and they totally worked on it at night and in their beds and they didn't complain or whine. They just memorized them and did their best when they were up at the mic. I know it doesn't really matter if they're memorized but I just figure if they are capable of it (which I know they are) why not encourage them to do their best and strengthen their memorizing and speech skills. They were so proud of themselves too.

My parents and Dave's mom and one of our little cousins came up for the day to watch- thanks guys!

I love my church. This year the kids have learned about eternal families and how we can make good choices here on earth and be together forever after this life. They learn songs about Jesus and sing them for us. It really is so great. I'm thankful for their teaachers too! They don't get paid and they work hard to keep these kids learning and happy and having a good time at church. I've worked in primary before but not for a long time. I'm glad my kids have had such good teachers every Sunday.

And those are my thoughts on the primary program.

p.s. go to my photoblog if you like to see pictures of very cute pregnant ladies.

22 comments:

Ashley said...

Wahoo! First to comment. Such great picture Denae. Macys dress is so adorable. That's aweswome they both sang solos very impressive. I loved your words. Primary is so neat, I always get tears in my eyes watching them sing and hearing their words. I can't wait to have one up there to watch! Very sweet.

Lesley said...

Yeah for Macey and Logan and their solos!! That is awesome. I am the primary chorister in our ward and we have ours the end of Oct and I am starting to get a little nervous because this is my first one. Can Macey and Logan please fly up to Seattle and be in our primary program and sing their solos?!!! :)

Jeanelle said...

I want Macey's dress. I love that you encouraged them (okay, made them) memorize their parts. I'm in the Primary presidency and I wish more parents would do that. The kids just have a better experience and it's so fun for the congregation to see their faces instead of the tops of their heads as they read.

queenieweenie said...

what sweet, precious children you have.

thanks for reminding me how lucky I am too.

Anonymous said...

I think their solo's were the sweetest part of the entire primary program. I can see why it would make your heart swell.

Brigitta said...

Hello...Macey stole the show. I hope I didn't drown her out. She sang alot louder when we practiced and there weren't 200 people staring at her. so sorry if the piano was too loud. How cute was she? Seriously I couldn't get over her little adorable voice. And Logan was awesome too...I was so impressed that your kids were the only ones that had their parts memorized. btw...love amy's photo shoot, just awsome!

Lauren in GA said...

I love the Primary Program. It is, hands down, my favorite Sunday of the year.

I love how you expressed your love and appreciation for your sweet children. I can envision how sad you are that you couldn't film it...I wish I could hear those sweet solos, myself.

Love the pregnancy pictures. The one of her laying down and you shot the pic from behind her head is my favorite. It is so beautiful.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, and I love little Macey's dress!

Stefani said...

I'm with you on the primary program being an emotional thing. This was the last year I'll have a kid in it. sniff, sniff. I told him he didn't have to memorize his part as long as he read it with feeling (hard for an 11 year old boy) he did relatively ok.

There is also the other end of the spectrum of emotion too, and that is "burst at the seams" laughter. Which we did several times. Some kids are SOOOO hysterical (while their mothers are dying in a corner somewhere, of course:)

Erika said...

I know what you mean about remembering how precious your kids are. It's hard to remember how much you love them when you have to constantly nag them about doing this or doing that.

I loved the solos. It was very brave of them. I also loved Macey's cute outfit. She is so sweet.

Beth said...

Ok, I have too much to say about the part of the post that is meaningful and reflective. . . . . . loved it all-

BUT, Saturday's Warrriors! Oh my goodness. I didn't know anyone owned that except our family growing up. Ok, you know the part when the missionaries sing, "We are not the ordinary, fearlessly extraordinay. . . . . . " We used to stand in front of the mirror and practice the little arm move when they twist their arms----I still love to pull that move out and Garrett thinks I'm the biggest move-probably because he has never seen the movie so he can't appreciate it. So glad you watch it!

Linsey said...

We are gearing up for our program in a few weeks...I am nervous. I hope I feel about it the way you felt about yours. Your kids just exude joy -- does Macey's dress come in adult sizes, it's fab!!

jenbahrens said...

I really loved this post Denae. Your kids are so sweet!

Margaret said...

Denae. The maternity pictures are SO beautiful! Good job!

Cardalls said...

Primary Program=tears for me every single time! Love those sweet little voices sharing eternal truths in such a simpleway. I am a boob when it comes tokids singing!

brooke said...

The pictures of your Macey and Logan are to die for. I bet they were so sweet singing. I am a horrible person because I turned my flash off and popped my camera up and snapped a quick picture at our primarpy program. But it was dumb because it doesn't capture their cuteness.

Macey's dress is the cutest.

Melissa said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's occasionally cried over 'Saturday's Warriors.' :)

Jessica said...

Apparently I need the Primary program to happen in our ward, because I am NOT thinking the stuff my kids do is so cute.

And I totally cry over "Line upon Line" (because the words are SO true!!)

Hazen5 said...

Primary Program Sunday is my favorite of the entire year! Sounds like your kids did an amazing job.

grandma said...

Such cute children -- of course! they are my grandchildren!!!!!

Krisi and Adam said...

Children are so so precious. They did a great job on their parts. Rebecca had her part memorized and I was going to go make sure they knew she knew it ... once someone tries to help her she wants help with it all. She is still running around saying her part... but atleast she is building her testimony about that fact that she now knows for sure.

Again... your kids were fabulous.

Julie said...

so sweet, I hadn't read this yet. I sure wish I could have seen them singing. They really are great kids! I need to remember to "worship" my kids a little more :) p.s. thanks for the heads up on nie nie on oprah. I recorded it and am about to go watch it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails