I realized the other day that this chore chart we are currently using has lasted longer than others I've tried. It is super simple and I think that's why. There are no stickers, lamanating, enlarging, or cutsie-ness. It's just a paper I print out every week but it works for us.
Everyday the kids have to do the things listed for that day. On Saturday they get paid their allowance which is $.25 per check mark. Except I totally cheat Macey because I don't think she needs that much money.
If they don't do their stuff (like miss more than 2 or 3 check marks) they loose privileges. Their privileges are playing the wii or DS on weekends, watching t.v., having play dates, staying up late on weekends, dessert, and going on fun family outings. Most of the time I just have to threaten that they'll lose privileges- I'm a huge believer in the art of the threat. The best is when they get home from school and I tell them they better hurry up and get their stuff done (after a few minutes of down time) so in case one of their friends calls to play they can go! Because if it's not, they can't! That one always really works. Too bad somedays they don't get called- so far they haven't caught onto that.
If they get most of their items checked off they get allowance, fun weekend stuff and their privileges.
They totally get it now and I love it. Last week Logan wanted a playdate on Wednesday and he got himself out of bed at 6:45, cleaned his room and practiced his math and piano all before school. I called and arranged his playdate ASAP so he would know it pays to get his stuff done! It was amazing and I don't know if it will ever happen again.
My kids have it easy. Their charts aren't huge but it still takes a serious effort to get them done each day. The main problem is their rooms. To get a check mark for "room" it has to be CLEAN. And my kids are natural-born slobs so it is a hard job everyday.
But as a mom I have found I am much happier if their rooms look good, their piano is done, and they've done a family job for me. It makes me more playful and excited about doing fun things for them. It helps me not to feel too much like their slave.
So, right now we have a good thing going. We've tried lots of other ways and this little chart with the threat of losing privileges has worked the best so far.
(this is last week's chart and it wasn't the best. They skipped some stuff and Monday was a holiday so we were a little thrown off)

And now, for your enjoyment some Saturday morning "family job time" photos.
Macey playing instead of working.

Logan running into Lexi's room to mess around.

Macey jumping off her bed instead of getting dressed.

Macey taking 5 years to fold one dress.


Lexi using the excuse that she is making her bed to really just jump on it for awhile.


But when she does finally get it made, she does a good job.

Logan caught practicing punches instead of working.

at least his teeth got brushed eventually

Macey hiding in the closet while I clean her room

More closet playing- she's a hard worker that girl

Lexi pretending to stack up her books but really reading them for awhile.

Logan is "too tired" to clean up- but after one threat of losing his wii privileges he's up!

Lexi caught working- yeah!

Now tell me about your chore charts.
32 comments:
My chore is not having this baby yet, while Will does everything else. It seems like a good thing for me, but I'm ready to be able to do chores again.
I should be better at charts... but I'm not. My girls know their responsibilities: KITCHEN for Olivia/LIVING ROOM for Morgan - Homework - Piano
Unfortunately their room has fallen by the wayside... until there's something they've been invited to and I use it as leverage.
You may have inspired me to start the chart up again. There's something about being able to cross something off/put a check mark by it/fill in the box!
That picture of Lexi jumping on the bed is awesome. I love it. I hope you frame that one.
About chore charts...we are bad at those, I do have one on the wall but it's from 3 months ago. You have inspired me.
So I guess since I finally de-lurked a couple entries ago, then it is time to start commenting, right? Thank you so much for the chore chart idea. Just telling my kids over and over again to get their stuff done just isn't cutting it. I also threaten them left and right but maybe it will work better combining it with the chart and allowance! Thanks so much!!!
Darling, darling photos! I love them all!
It is so hard to get my kids to work...bascially because they want me there with them to help. I am an amazing woman...but, alas, I can only be in one place at one time. I agree with your title, though...It is hard but I keep on trying, too.
I also am a huge fan of all these pictures, and can't wait until my kids will start chipping in a little and picking up their own stuff. I am glad to hear your experiences with chore charts, I will definitely be taking your advice on simplicity when it's time.
HI Shirley- I'm glad you're commenting now! I tried to click on your name and see your blog but it doesn't work.
so not good at the chart keeping yet (oldest is only 5.) Sometimes I yell 'time to clean up Daddy's almost home' and get mixed responses. I did want to share one of my favorite quotes from some stake women's conference by some lady that sounded like she knew what she was talking about:)
"Never worry about making your kids work. They will always find a way to play even while they are working."
we have gotten rid of them for now. not saying we'll never go back, but we're working off the principle that everyone contributes in the family. i don't get paid to do jobs around the house, why should the kids? they do get an allowance, which can be witheld pending bad choice making. and they can earn extra money by doing extra jobs, unasked.
anyway. it's working, it's been about a year. not knocking the charts... i've used them plenty in the past. i love the simplicity of yours. and if it works, then it is good.
I stole my chore chart idea from Jessica. She did a post about it a while ago. IT is working great for us.
This post is so very timely for me! Tonight is our FHE on being dependable/responsible. I am totally going to introduce this chore chart. Your ideas are so applicable to me since our kids are the same ages... thank you!
Love the Lexi making her bed pix. Too cute!
Shauna and all, one thing I forgot to mention that helped us is having the kids make a list of their privileges and things they wanted to earn. I put the list on the fridge so I can point to it and say "you're going to loose these if you don't get your list done!"
It's exhausting, isn't it. I love how the pictures capture what really goes on. This post has become one of my all time favorites! You sure have a darling family. You can tell they have a happy mom. BTW, I am much happier when I don't feel like the slave too. The chore charts always work best when we print them out on Mondays and go over them with our children at Family Night. At least the one time we did that, it was a much smoother week.
How did you make the chart? I am so computer impaired that I have no idea how to even make a simple chart!
Meg, Dave made it awhile ago - I think in word. You wouldn't even really have to have a chart though--- just a list of daily tasks would word. You could even draw it and then make a bunch of copies!
Denae: I like the simplicity of your chore charts. What do the kids do when they are assigned "car?" Just clean up the stuff people have left in there, I assume?
I posted pics of our chore charts a few days ago during love week. It is similar - we do points like you do checks. But I think I've put too many jobs on there cause Drew said it's too complicated. However, I still love it when they do half the stuff. It helps me so much. Thanks for posting your chart!
I like your chore charts!!
I'm at a really weird place in my life where Levi is nearly 7 and should def. be doing chores and then there's Faith who's not even two and shouldn't be doing chores. So, I make a chore chart for Levi who already thinks his life is unfair and the world revolves around Faith? UGH. So far I just threaten that he has to get his 'stuff' done before school. Stuff is brushing teeth, making bed, cleaning room, getting dressed. And then after school he winds down for a half an hour and then it's homework and 20 minutes of reading. I wish I had a better system, but I totally don't.
I'm sure you didn't want or need to know all that. But now you do.
Natalie- "car" means they get all of the garbage out and bring all the other stuff in and put it away. I'm working up to having them vacume too. It's a big job, because like I said before, my kids are natural-born slobs and leave their stuff in the car alot!!
I need a chore chart. This looks manageable. Thanks!
Such perfect timing! I've been wanting to do chore charts FOREVER. Ever since Jessica's post about it, I was going to make hers. But, never got around to it. All the cute pics and whatnot slowed me up. Your idea is basically just like hers, but a bit more simple. I can do this today. RIGHT NOW. Our FHE is on doing what we are asked without complaining, just like Nephi and I think I'm going to throw the job chart right in with it! PERFECT!
Thanks!
And your pics are fabulous!
Great chart! I made some a few summers ago that I updated for the school year.
http://margaret-hansen.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-summer-charts.html
...Which reminds me that I should post what they look like during the school year.
I loved your pictures of the kids "working". When my kids start working that slow, and I am in a hurry, I set the timer. If they don't get done before it goes off when one thing, than they lose a privilege. It usually speeds up the rest of their chores too.
By the way, I love posts like these because, as a mom, it's so nice to hear how other moms are tackling motherhood. Keep them coming!
I haven't been good about having a chore chart lately. It just seems easier to do it myself. Except when I don't feel like doing (ahem...this weekend) so it doesn't get done and the house is a disaster. My kids do clean their rooms on Saturday. I like how you pay them for each chore they get done.
Good work teaching them to work. Excellent job, Mom.
Cute pics Denae and I love chore charts! I won't be telling my kids how much your kids make tho...mine get how old they are a month! (Caden and Carsen get $1 a month, but maybe I'll up it to $2- all they buy with their money is candy anyway, so I am going to keep it a small amount for as long as I can! They are thrilled to get one dollar!)They can make extra if they want to earn more by doing "extra" jobs.
Denae,
Thanks for getting me in touch with Angie and Jen.
That was great and so nice of you.
I heard from them right away.
Amazing!
Ahhh, The dreaded chore charts. Lately, I've been bribing with gum and a candy basket. I guess it is time to get back to the real deal. A chart.
whatever happened to carefree childhood? Save all the stress for later so they don't become obsessive compulsive cleaners. It's o.k. to be a little messy!!!!
your kids are adorable. and i love the green paint.
i don't have chore charts and never had them. we would clean every saturday my mom or oldest sister would split the house up to vaccumm and clean the bathrooms then my mom would wake us up really early every other week and have us mow the lawn then pull weeds. we couldn't do anything until the entire house was spotless. FUN STUFF. not... it wastes the saturday. i will definetly clean during the week because saturday morning chores stink.
your kids are adorable. and i love the green paint.
i don't have chore charts and never had them. we would clean every saturday my mom or oldest sister would split the house up to vaccumm and clean the bathrooms then my mom would wake us up really early every other week and have us mow the lawn then pull weeds. we couldn't do anything until the entire house was spotless. FUN STUFF. not... it wastes the saturday. i will definetly clean during the week because saturday morning chores stink.
I make a chore list on Saturdays on a post it note for each child. On regular school days they have to straighten their room/make bed/practice/homework. They alternate unloading the dishwasher and clearing the table after dinner. For us that's enough on school days, they still need time to play.
My favorite quote on teaching kids to work is, "I am sacrficing perfection to teach responsibility."
I'm so inspired! Chores have never worked in our house and more than ever, I'm in need of some help! I was considering doing index cards on a ring that they would stick to their clothes but I like this idea MUCH BETTER!
I think this is a GREAT way to do chores, simple but effective. I love all the pictures - because that is exactly how it is - they get distracted so easily. I think its cute how macey kept hiding :)
We have a chart but it doesn't work that well. I was going to go to popsicle sticks (she would pick 2-3 out each day to do) but have not done that either - I have just been trying to get her to keep her room clean (no toys - just clothes) and the play room picked up (all toys). Todays Primary lesson inspired her to run home and clean her room!!! THANK YOU Sister Hammer! I must get a chore chart or popsicle sticks together soon so she is in the habit before Kindergarten starts.
Post a Comment