Monday, February 23, 2009

Do They Look Like Me At All?




The responsibility mothers have today has never required more vigilance. More than at any time in the history of the world, we need mothers who know. Children are being born into a world where they “wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” (Ephesians 6:12).1 However, mothers need not fear. When mothers know who they are and who God is and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children. Julie Beck (General Relief Society President)

There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family.  M. Russell Ballard

How important it is to focus on the things that can only be done in a particular season of life. If a child lives with parents for 18 or 19 years, that span is only one-fourth of a parent’s life. And the most formative time of all, the early years in a child’s life, represents less than one-tenth of a parent’s normal life. It is crucial to focus on our children for the short time we have them with us and to seek, with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes.  M. Russell Ballard

 The joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.  M. Russell Ballard

"The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”  Anna Quindlen

“Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels. (first presidency lds church)

Check out my newest sidebar ad.  It is from an adorable girl with a great business and I suggest you click to see her site.  If you need some good smelling candles-she is your woman!  

20 comments:

rachel said...

Nope. Not at all! ;)

(Holy Cow, YES!!!)

Great quotes. Motherhood is divine.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i think i will print out this whole post and add it to my quote journal. i think ill even include your picture so it will always remind me that there are a lot of great moms out there, and that it's not an impossible task.

Mitch said...

Love the post... great quotes... Also, it's so fun reading and hearing "mom" and "mother" and "motherhood"... all of them just make the husbands love their wives so much more!

But I've got to tell you, I see a lot more Dave in your kids (but that's probably because I grew up with him and know him more)

Mindy said...

Those quotes are awesome. Thank you for posting all of them. I needed to hear them this morning.

That picture of you and the kids is awesome! I need one of me and my kids. Did Dave take it or was it a tripod?

Lauren in GA said...

Great quotes, Denae. I'm crying...because I really needed that.

I love the picture.

D-dawg said...

Mitch- I know. I see way more of Dave in them too- Mostly Macey and Logan.

Mindy- Dave took the pic but I had it all set up for him. Come visit me and I'll take pictures of you guys! (o:

Stefani said...

I love your post. Thanks for sharing. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that talk by Julie Beck. It really puts things in a good perspective.

And can you say "Mini-Me"? (ok, your son looks more like Dave... but really)

Brett said...

Loved your post... aren't they so inspired! Love ya sis... And yes I think they look like you!

Amanda D said...

I think that Lexi looks like you in the eyes, and Logan's smile is like yours. I see more of your hubby in Macey though.

I love the quotes. A great remnder for me. Thanks. :)

Nancy said...

Amen. Someone read me a quote today about motherhood and how the job just can't be delegated. (I think Julie Beck said it.) It is so true. We can get help but we wouldn't want to give it away.

Nancy said...

Oh wait, Logan totally looks like Landon to me, by the way. But you say he is more Dave? Hmmm.....

Julie said...

I think Macey is your twin. Great quotes!

Emily said...

Those are really great quotes Denae, that picture is so beautiful!!

Annette said...

Ok, I lied yesterday. THIS is my new favorite post! That's the problem, every day you surprise us with a new great one. You have a beautiful mind. Thanks for the reminders and wisdom in all these quotes. I am going to post them all over my house. And what a great picture! I love cuddly photos like that. And yes, I think they do!

Margaret said...

Thanks I needed that!

And the picture is beautiful!

Natalie said...

Darling, darling picture. And awesome quotes.

Ashley said...

Amen, sister!!! Thanks Denae for posting this!

Christal said...

not at all eh ha ha a great mix of both of you! What a great picture all of you are beautiful! Thanks for this post I needed it today!ttys

Hazen5 said...

I think the youngest looks like YOU most! You are all adorable. Love the Quotes!

Krisi and Adam said...

Great post. I had no idea other people in the ward blogged!

Great picture too. I have had a DSLR for 4 1/2 years and just got a new camera... I just need to learn more how to use it. Maybe one day you can show me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails