Monday, January 07, 2013

It's 2013!!



My new niece Kennedy.  Born to Dustin and Moriah this weekend.  
Is there anything better than those chubby cheeks?  She is so sweet. 
And yes, I would love another baby.


Today I was talking to a friend and telling her that I felt bad because I had decided not to take on a project that I had previously said I would do.  I just knew I would regret the extra work for myself and that other, more important things, would get neglected.  She told me that she is careful not to stretch herself too thin and that she thinks it's important to guard her emotional "stability" (or something like that).  It made me feel so much better.  I am really good at feeling guilty or making myself feel bad when I have to say no.  But I have gotten much better at saying no and making sure I am not overbooked and I'm thankful for that.  My friend also said that it's important not to say no to everything, or to avoid things and make your life too easy because then you don't grow.  I think that's very true as well.


In this new year one of my goals is to compliment myself, have positive self- talk, and treat myself as good as I treat others.  I have good self confidence- I really do.  But I also always feel like there is so much more I could be doing in all areas and I forget to applaud myself for what I do accomplish.  Even the little things.  So I'm going to do that.

Yesterday church was so good.  Like, the whole three hours had me thinking and feeling good stuff.  I felt the love of my Heavenly Father all over the place.  One lady particularly touched me in saying how the gospel brings joy and we need to make sure we're feeling that joy and enjoying life.  Not getting caught up in the work and the hard stuff.  Again, it's something I need to work on.  I have the best life.  I truly feel insanely blessed every day of my life.  I really couldn't ask for much more.  And yet, I do get caught up in letting the little things get in my way or frustrate me.  The never ending messes or little problems to work out.  The jobs to do.  Things that don't matter and yet they make me mad.  So, another goal of mine is to live in the moment, let the little things go and just enjoy life for the journey.  I hope I can do it.

One more thing, I love my calling at church.  I get to teach the 16-18 year olds.  This year we have a new curriculum and each month we study a new topic.  January is the Godhead.  The lessons are not as outlined and detailed as they used to be.  The teacher needs to be in tune and come up with a lesson plan according to the needs of her students.  I was nervous about this.  I put so much time into my lesson last week and still didn't feel it coming together.  Dave told me to let it go but I kept studying.  When I sat down and started my lesson I felt so guided in the things that I said and the lesson went really well.  I'm so excited to get to study the gospel of Jesus Christ more in depth this year as I prepare lessons for these kids.  I really love the kids in my class.  There are 11 of them now.  Yesterday some of them shared things and I loved to hear their thoughts and learn from them as they learn from me.  It's going to be a good year.






3 comments:

Jessica said...

Loved this post. I could have written it. Thanks so sharing!

Lauren in GA said...

Thanks for this post, Denae. I feel the same way about a lot of things.

We had a special stake meeting where they introduced the new program for the youth...change scares me...and I was scared that maybe it would be hard to get the youth to discuss things...but, Evan LOVED it. I should have had more faith. I KNOW that our leaders are inspired...I need to rely on that faith.

Kennedy is scrumptious ☺.

Tiffany said...

thank you for sharing, both this video and your thoughts. it was something I needed to hear right now

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails