Tuesday, September 07, 2010

I'd Rather Pet My Cat Then Go Grocery Shopping




I truly hate grocery shopping. But it is one of my "duties" so I must do it. Here are my recent goals to try to make it a more pleasant experience:
1. Go first thing after I drop the kids off at school. Early morning= me having more energy and I get it over with for the day!

2. Never go on a Wednesday. Wednesdays are the one day a week I do not get a nap. I must have a nap on a grocery day.

3. Wear a jacket. Even if it is 100 degrees outside I will be cold in there. Guaranteed. I always forget that and end up miserable and racing around to get out as soon as
possible.

4. Plan ahead- blah blah blah. Do you know how many times I re-commit to this goal?? Sometimes I'm good at it, sometimes I'm not, but we all know it makes a huge difference to plan meals a week or two in advance and shop that way. But it is hard for me. I'm
more of a "what do I feel like today" type of girl.

5. Reward myself with some sort of prize if I do a good job shopping. Ideas: sandwich from deli, new deodorant, candy bar.

6. Don't rush. I feel like I'm always trying to get it over with and end up rushing around and raging at slow pokes in my way. I need to enjoy the grocery shopping journey.

7. Put a smile on my face. I am determined to go with a cheerful attitude. I am going to try not to get annoyed with old people pushing their cart slow in front of me, other people
taking up the entire isle, slow salesclerks, perverted men trying to make conversation, and slow baggers.

Wish me luck!

And... am I missing anything? Tell me what helps you.




p.s. on Saturday I got to photography my friend's wedding. SHE LOOKED GORGEOUS! See more here.


14 comments:

Lorie said...

I couldn't agree more! I'd rather do ANYTHING than grocery shopping!!

Seriously... said...

oh my goodness, you need to do grocery delivery. i swear by it. it's about $7-$10 and I SAVE a ton of money by not buying a bunch of crud wandering around the store. i can put my order in at 11 pm at night, and the next morning at 10 the delivery guy brings it into my kitchen for me. i love it. love it. it is awesome. i don't know what else to say. i really like it. and 95% of the time my produce is great. which is probably better than if I had picked it out myself.

The Fredy Family said...

Go to Trader Joes. Great shopping experience to be had. But if I could afford to shop at Raleys I would do the ecart. Lately though i have been sending my husband WITH THE TWO KIDS to do the shopping on saturday mornings while I edit photos. How'd I swing that one????

the wrath of khandrea said...

hmm. maybe i'm a weirdo. i love grocery shopping. something about checkign items off a list, the thrill of coming in under budget... i even like taking my kids with me. i do have rules, like no shopping on payday, becausee then it's way too crowded. hmmm. interesting. i always just assumed everyone liked grocery shopping. you have broadened my horizons today.

Lisa-Marie said...

oh, i love to grocery shop. it's one of my favorite dates to do with kendon. call me crazy!

i laugh that a new deodorant is a reward for you. you crack me up!

Unknown said...

I shop weekly at Costco and Winco. Costco I like. Winco is kind of reserved for weirdos but since it has the best bulk foods and prices, I must go.

My recipe for success? Put on an ipod (or iphone, I guess). Seriously. If you have those earbuds that fit securely in your ear, you won't stick out. Download podcasts (I have a few that I reserve for shopping trips and that is my reward for doing it). Or do a good playlist with music you enjoy. But podcasts are much better. Before long, you'll enjoy shopping.

Shhhh...don't tell...but when I have to drive the kids a lot or I have to drive more than 20 minutes, I'll put the earbuds in and listen to podcasts too. It zones out the noise and makes the chore more bearable. :)

Lauren in GA said...

Denae, you are adorable. I love how you said it is a, "grocery shopping journey."

I think you have great ideas for making the whole ordeal better. I have the same problem with wanting to plan ahead every week and then never get around to it the way I want to.

Emily said...

D-dawg, I always feel so rushed too, and I don't know why!? I hate that feeling, and then I end up buying things I didn't want to buy.

I'm going to try and have more pleasant grocery shopping experiences as well... you're an inspiration :)

Stefani said...

I can't say I love grocery shopping, but it's bearable for me, especially like someone commented... with an iPod. I do get bugged by those who bring everyone and their grandma with them to grocery shop. Don't they know that 6 or 7 people (no matter how thin they are) take up a WHOLE isle. And they always seem to look at me with the you'll-just-have-to-wait-until-we're-done look, if they even acknowledge me at all... But I digress

What I really hate is bringing it all home and putting it all away :P

Nancy said...

I'm with you on the planning thing. Hate it. I have found that not planning makes me have to go to the grocery store way more. Yuck.

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

beautiful pic girl...and I hate grocery shopping too!

Kath said...

Don't forget coupons and store specials to be responsible for. The thought of which make me either have the insta-guilts or hyperventilate. Then there is always the multi-question check out experience: How Are you today? Are you making cookies with these chocolate chips? Would you like to donate to prostate cancer research? Would you like paper or plastic? Would you like your milk in a bag? Do you need help out with your groceries today? (The last three ?? are asked at least once by BOTH the checker and bagger and sometimes multiple by both) And let's not forget the challenged baggers who frequently are hired by the grocery chains. Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that...it can just add to the uncomfortableness that has already enveloped your shopping experience. I'm with you...bout ready to try delivery but not sure that works for control freakish like myself. good luck with this:)

D-dawg said...

You're all so right... and Kath, yes, hate the barrage of questions at the end! I feel tired just thinking of it. I need to try delivery too. And podcasts. Thanks guys.

Natalie said...

Ugh. Grocery shopping is the worst. I agree with the previous comment - I take my iPod and listen to my favorite music. It helps the trip go faster and I'm in a much better mood during the whole process.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails