Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Tuesday in March


This morning I woke up, after only a few, very interrupted hours of sleep, to a still-feverish child and another child having continuous coughing attacks. I rushed to get Logan ready to school. We ran out the door and into our car that wouldn't start. The kids had left the light on in it all night.

I love our neighborhood. When I realized our car wouldn't start I walked out onto the sidewalk and saw two neighbors, both who have children in Logan's grade, getting their kids in the car and I ran over and got Logan a ride. Then I called another neighbor who came by on his way to work to jump-start my car. It's nice to be surrounded by nice people.

The girls and I had a quiet morning at home. Quiet, except for the coughing, that is. I finally took Lexi into the Dr. because she's had this cough for one month and it was getting worse. I slapped down $200 for the appointment and prescription (she has a sinus infection). Giving up the $200 really hurt me. I felt like someone had mugged me and left me lying on the side of the road with bruises and no money. It is our fault for choosing the medical plan we have. Dave says it will pay off in the end but it doesn't feel like it.

Next, I sat at piano and then baseball. I have opinions on organized sports. Why is there so much parent involvement? Kids seem so helpless these days- but it's only because the parents won't let them be anything else. There are 5 dads that help out our team. I am thankful for them, but still, something has gone wrong over the years. John Rosemond would say something like "what happened to playing baseball in a dirt field down the road with a stick for a bat and your neighborhood friends?" I have to agree. We know no one on our team- not one of the children are from our neighborhood or school. The kids do not direct practice in any way- they don't even really know what they're doing. They just do what they're told and gaze at the birds flying over head in between drills. Oh well. Logan loves it.

But what I was going to say is practice was supposed to end at 6 so that we could come home and have dinner. Well, the coach didn't let them out until 6:25 and I was mad. You know me and my time issues! We had to rush dinner and Macey was practically asleep by the end of it. Not the best "swing shift" today. Again, oh well. What can you do?

The positives for today were:
hanging with my girls at home
the sunny weather
robin eggs (the kind you eat)
cleaning my room
doing my photography homework (picture shown above is called "panning"- but I think he's supposed to be more in focus- but the streaky background worked.)
AND
nice neighbors who helped me out when I needed it

Oh and speaking of neighbors, Radio is still around.  In fact, he leaned over the fence just the other day and asked me how much my house cost.  Then, a little later he asked Dave for a radio and then gifted him an old scratched up cd.  Poor guy is probably just desperate for a little music in his life.....

12 comments:

Beth said...

Ok, first your picture is hilarious. Dave is a good sport. Second, we have an hsa acct, which sounds like what you guys have. Garrett says same thing---and I think it's true. It's CRAZY though when you see all the money you are paying out of pocket! And, lastly "swing shift." Read about that on one of your other posts. It has motivated me to be a better swing shifting mom. It is a critical time!! Why didn't anyone tell me before so I wasn't so cranky that it is so chaotic?!? New goals!

Stefani said...

Don't feel too bad... I spent $200 on the DOG the other day.... grrrrr!

And the other thing... we are NOT doing baseball this year. WOO HOO!!!

angie said...

Thanks for the "swing shift" article I had heard of it or read part of it somewhere and thought to myself that it would be a good goal because, that is my WORST part of the day! I love this pic of Dave- great job on the homework!

Ashley said...

That picture is amazing! So true about too much parent involvement. I never remember my parents being around when I was a kid!

Christie said...

Panning is so dang hard, no? Excellent shot. I still have yet to master that.

Love your idea about the swing shift. I need to work on that time of day. It's always nuts around here and it makes me crazy.

Mindy said...

That picture is so AWESOME! I think it's so cool that you're taking a class. I need to sign up for a class.

Sorry about your sick kids. That is tough. But way to see the positive! I can't believe it cost $200 dollars to take Lexi to the doctor and fill a perscrption. That's outrageous! I hope your monthly payments are super low. Our insurance is changing and we're going to have a $200 co-pay for any ER visits. HELLO! We visit the ER at least five times a year. Ouch.

I think about how children are overly coddled these days, too. I contribute the most heavily to my kids lack of independence because I'm scared. But I do think it will affect this generation of kids. My brothers used to wonder the neighborhood and play on our street from sun up till sun down. My boys aren't allowed to open the front door unless I'm there. Times are a'changin'.

the wrath of khandrea said...

how would it be to have shorts on yesterday? i think it was 7 degrees last time i checked.
blech

don't even get me started on the organized sports thing. how about the gratuitous trophy for everyone? WHAT DID YOU WIN?? nothing. nothing, because we don't even keep score anymore! EVERYONE'S a winner. which means no one is ever a loser. which means kids don't learn how to fail. it's ridiculous.

breather, andrea. breathe.

Lauren in GA said...

I loved your closing line...you are right..he is probably just desperate for some music.


Yay for good neighbors!

6:25 ?!!! I would be mad, too!

I think your homework looks great. It looks full of motion...well, I don't know how to explain what I mean...I love it, though.

Brian is home from school sick today. It has been lovely to hang out.

Julie said...

I'm sorry your kids are sick. Mine just got over a nasty croup. I like the running picture - Dave looks super fast!

Dave said...

Dave is super fast... aww yeah!

I think our premium for the HSA is like $290 cheaper per month than the other. So, I think it works out. Either way, healthcare is a bummer!

Jodie said...

thanks for sharing the swing shift article. i've always dreaded this time of day. now i hope with a little preparation my afternoons will go a little better. i'm surprised i didn't think of this before.

Presley family said...

You are very cute! You have a fun way of writting... medical bills just stink.. no other way to put it! I can't even begin to say how much I have had to pay and OHHH... what I could have done with it! wink!!!
BIG HUGS!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails