Monday, December 01, 2008

Worried About the Crazy

When we moved into this house we didn't know that the house next door was a rental.  I am fine with a rental until a family with grandma's, grandpa's, uncles and cousins move in.  That's just a tad too many neighbors! But really, I'd be fine with lots of neighbors if one of them wasn't just a tad bit crazy!

Yes, it appears that the uncle has some "issues" (nice way of saying crazy).  We started to figure it out after we saw him wandering about a little confused in the driveway. Then, whenever he would see Dave he would ask him for a radio. Hmmm. After that he started popping his head up over the fence to say hello to us. Which is so friendly, but very startling when you're not expecting it.  Just ask my sister in law Kim.  She saw it herself just last Saturday!

The Saturday before that, we were cleaning out our garage when he popped his head over the fence and looked straight down into our garbage can? "Hey, do you have a radio in there?" he boomed! Nope, no radio. But we did have an old framed piece of ugly art that he pulled out of our garbage can and asked if he could hang it in his bathroom?!  I felt a little bit violated to say the least.

But the thing that disturbs me the most is this:


This photo is a view from my office where I ofttimes can be found on my computer.  He has looked right in at me.  

He seems to have an obsession with his garbage and smashing it. He comes out of the side door of his garage probably ten times a day to look in his garbage can. Every once in awhile I am startled to see half his body over the fence out of my office window!  He enjoys standing on his garbage and smashing it down for a few minutes, a few times a day. It's a little bit awkward as I have to hop up and close the blinds a.s.a.p. so as not to interfere with his garbage smashing ritual.

What the devil should I do???

40 comments:

Janelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janelle said...

Close your blinds! And put a radio in your trash just for me.

Annemarie said...

That is creepy and would freak me out, too. Seriously...put a radio in his garbage. You'd totally make his day. It could be a little like feeding a stray cat, however.

Annemarie said...

Let's hope that his blog doesn't say anything about the lady next door that took a pic of him trampling on his garbage. Sorry, couldn't resist!

diane said...

So you live next to Radio. Get him a job as assistant coach at the High School. Good luck with that.

The Fredy Family said...

As much as I complain about owning 2 acres and taking care of it, blah, blah, blah....seeing that photo makes me realize that living where the neighbors can't peek over your fence is so worth the rattlesnakes, mountain lions, the deer that walk up to your front door to eat your plants and poop on your lawn, and the jack rabbits that play chicken all the way down the road as you are trying to drive to work. Good luck with crazy man. Oh yeah, I agree, you should totally put a radio in your trash can just for him to find.

D-dawg said...

Love the radio idea. AnneMarie- LOL if he has a blog and is writing about his crazy neighbor!

angie said...

All I can really think to say is...wowzers!

Stefani said...

Ummmm...is there someone else at the residence that you could talk to about him. You know, find out how "harmless" he really is. I say bring over a loaf of bread and a radio and make some new friends - lol.

Cecilia said...

That's creepy!
Just keep your blinds close all day and get a really big outside dog to scare him everytime he tries to do his garbage smashing ritual!
Good luck!

Linsey said...

Actually, Diane might be right, he may just be Radio. He probably is harmless and you may just want to have a conversation with the neighbors to ascertain his situation.

Katrine said...

I think you should embrace the crazy! It makes life much more entertaining and gives you great blogging material!

♥Shally said...

I would enjoy the crazy too! Go out there and smash your trash down with him! Turn a radio up loud while doing it. Maybe it is liberating?!?

Lisa-Marie said...

I bet Buster is so happy that you have someone else to fret over now, instead of him!!!!

I LOVE the radio idea too! PLEASE! The post where you share all your sneaky pics of him finding it can be your Christmas present to all of us.

Mindy said...

I am super worried about you. Creepy neighbors are the worst, and yours practically lives in your backyard! I have no idea what you should do. I am terrible with stuff like that.

Is he crazy, or do you think he's autistic or as asberger's syndrome or something? How old is he?

I am the worst with these situations and feel super uncomfortable just thinking about it.

Mamapumpkin said...

I'd send someone up who doesn't live nearby to have a man to man chat with him. You know, just to find out what his motivation is......and I'd put a card box radio in there for him to find. Who knows?! It might just satisfy his need! LOL

Ashley said...

ummm...awkward, I think that is a picture of my uncle. JK, so not so sure what you could do. Double the height of your fence? Put some strange goo in his garbage so he doesn't attempt to smash it? Sorry I'm at a loss.

Mike and Ariane said...

I would check the sex offenders directory and make sure he isn't registered! Bizarre. Tell him people don't throw away good radios, so even if he found one, it probably won't work. Tell him to ask Santa for a new radio. What a creeper!

Mike and Ariane said...

He could be using a "Radio" as a disguise...when really he is lifting your personal financial info that was trashed. Identity Theft? Sorry to be so full of odd thoughts...just makes my mind wander.

Julie said...

Ummmm wow!!

Michelle said...

I kind of feel a little bad for the crazy. Seriously, we all have a little crazy in us, right?! His is just extreme----OK incredibly extreme!! Good luck. Not a fun situation.

Christie said...

Ah, crazy neighbors. Count your blessings that they live next door and are not you. Good blog fodder though, right?

Meg said...

Maybe you should get some sheer curtains... that way he wont be able to see into your house but you can still see out... unless its' night time, then he can see in and you can't see out. Then you can close the blinds though. Hope that makes sense?

Nancy said...

Oh, not fun. Can you check with the owner/landlord? You might need to start an innocent paper trail. I also agree with checking with the renter to examine extended safety issues. He's probably harmless with a very sad disease/disorder.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, dear...That is really, really...um...strange. Maybe the family won't rent for that long? Yeah...I guess that is wishful thinking on my part, huh?

Diane cracks me up!

rebeccaV said...

He probably is harmless, like everyone says, but I believe you can go down to your local courthouse and check his public record (arrests, etc) to make sure-at least you used to be able to in Idaho (maybe call first :)) Also check the sex offender registry, usually available on your local sheriff's dept website. I am one who believes you can never be too careful! Good luck!!

Never A True Aggie said...

It sounds to me like he may have Autism or a serious case of OCD. If that is the case, he probably does not "get" how innappropriate he is. This is what I would do.

I would talk to your neighbors and say that while you are super glad they are friendly, "such and such" has been going on, namely:
* looking through our garbage (totally unhealthy)
* asking about radios
* looking over the fence and also abruptly talking to people over the fence.

I wuold keep my blinds closed for a while. I would also ask them to talk to him about it. If he is developmentally disabled, then that should help and they can figure out other ways to make him happy. They probably don't realize that it is an issue.

Yes, that would creep me out to have someone looking at me. Go check out the Dunhaven Place blog (you can link to it from Hillary). She has a son with dev. dis. and she might be able to help you with what to say to a family who has a family member who is a little different. Good luck.

Sherine said...

I forgot what I was going to say after I saw mindy's face photshopped next to edwards in her profile pic next to her comment. I also like that Edward is now a Single Name Celeb. Like Madonna. Or Prince. or Brangelina. or Radio.

D-dawg said...

Sherine, I love it too. Edward. But not in real life- I saw him on Jay Leno and he was LAME. And Mindy's profile is hilarious.

*Tanyetta* said...

Yeah, keep the blinds closed! ;)

Paige said...

This post made me so happy I nearly couldn't sleep during my nap today!!

Are you sure the guy isn't Carl? Look closely. He loves trash too. It's an addiction. If it's not him it's only because he has to make a living. But his office looks out to the trash so he can keep an eye on it all day.

Go to creepy guy's handlers and tell them you have a baby sleeping in that room (small lie, but you might soon!) and it is very loud when he rustles through the trash, so could they please bring the trash cans to the other side of the house? Bring cookies when you ask.

Also, give the poor guy a freakin' radio. Or keep one in Dave's pocket and he can whip it out every time the guy asks for a radio.

You should be able to keep your blinds open.

One more thing- find out his name and check on Megan's list or run it by the Sheriff's office. I'm just sayin'.

Paige said...

Plant Big Trees.

And I felt bad for suggesting the sex offender thing but then everyone else did too so now I don't feel bad.

Please forward Celia my Carl comment. She'll like it.

Paige said...

Can't stop here. What if you met crazy with crazy? Go outside, start screaming like a banshee and totally freak him out. Start screaming about CD players or ipods- who uses a radio anymore anyway??? It's late. I have issues. Sorry D-dawg.

Natalie said...

Eew. That's a little freaky. I have a feeling if you put a radio in your trash, he'd keep coming back for more.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i would like to read his blog. could you get the address for me?

SUMMER said...

Peeing my pants!!!!

Julie said...

Wow Denae - that is crazy! Does he have mental issues?

Ilene said...

My friend had hippies next door who liked to wander around in their backyard naked. She could see them from her baby girl's window. So, on the bright side, at least he isn't naked.

D-dawg said...

Ilene- really? I feel much better about my situation now.


Wow.

Did she have a blog? Cause that would have been a good post.

rachel said...

Playing catch up on your blog and just HAD to comment here... I am laughing OUT LOUD! What a silly neighbor! (My guess is OCD or Autism...) Keep us posted.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails