
Wowzers.
That was some blog love that I never knew existed. Thanks you guys! I love you too! I want to come and visit all of your blogs. It will take me a little while but I'll be there.
Now, let's talk about photography since some of you asked about it and I want to talk about it anyway. I started December 2007 when Dave got me a Canon Rebel for Christmas. I had a blast playing around with it but then it got frustrating because I couldn't make it do what I wanted it to do. So I started reading online and trying to find tips. One tip I found was to buy a 50mm 1.8 lens, which I did and it's wonderful. It's my favorite lens. Why? Because it can let a bunch more light in than a zoom lens, which is what most cameras come with. And it has a wide aperture (1.8) which gives you the super awesome blurry background look (bokeh). So that is the lens I use the most.
Now I have a Canon 40D. It's a good camera, but the thing about photography is you always want more!! I'm sticking with my D40 for awhile but someday want to upgrade to a 5D. The next lens I want is a 30mm 1.4- or maybe it's the 85mm 1.8 I want- I can't remember- I'm not getting it anytime soon.
Here's the other thing about photography- there's so much to learn it's not even funny. I know nothing, really!! I have barely scratched the surface and it is hard to make time to do more research. But it is so fun when you figure it out and make it work for you!
To edit my photos I use Photoshop Elements. I can't afford the real photoshop right now- hopefully someday. Elements is only $80 and does a lot of the same things. There are a ton of tutorials and instructions on how to do things online. I don't have one specific website that I go to. When I have a question I just type it into google and read everything that comes up. It takes a lot of time- that's the bad part. I always sharpen my photos a little bit and then lighten them too if I need to. Sometimes I mess with the contrast. Also, I recently bought a noiseware program that is fun to play with because it can make your pictures look more clear- but you have to be careful because it can make it look fake too if you do too much.
Hmmm, what else..... the very basic thing that I started with was not using flash anymore. Turn your flash off! It gives you a better "real life" look without that blaring light in everyone's faces. If you need more light in the photo, up your ISO- the higher the ISO the more light. BUT the ISO also makes extra noise in your photo- so don't make it too high if you're going to enlarge the picture. Unless you have noiseware! That's that other program you can buy that takes the noise out. See? There's so much- the info. out there is never ending. So, for more light, use a higher ISO and a wider aperature (that's why the 50mm 1.8 lens is so great).
One more tip- read your camera manual constantly. Try to figure out one more thing on your camera every week and then practice!! For instance- white balance is just a click away but can make a huge difference in the coloring of your photo. Camera's are normally just set on Auto White Balance but you can choose another function- like if you're in the shade, or under flourescent lighting and it fixes the coloring of your photo. This is very basic stuff but just getting to know all of the functions on your camera is the first step. And practice all of the time. I have taken thousands of photos in the last year.
Here are some that are not my best but I've been meaning to post them to remember this fun hike we went on. There is this huge fallen tree that my kids like to play on.
With these photos the only editing I did was going into IPHOTO on my mac and choosing the "antique" look. I like that.
That was some blog love that I never knew existed. Thanks you guys! I love you too! I want to come and visit all of your blogs. It will take me a little while but I'll be there.
Now, let's talk about photography since some of you asked about it and I want to talk about it anyway. I started December 2007 when Dave got me a Canon Rebel for Christmas. I had a blast playing around with it but then it got frustrating because I couldn't make it do what I wanted it to do. So I started reading online and trying to find tips. One tip I found was to buy a 50mm 1.8 lens, which I did and it's wonderful. It's my favorite lens. Why? Because it can let a bunch more light in than a zoom lens, which is what most cameras come with. And it has a wide aperture (1.8) which gives you the super awesome blurry background look (bokeh). So that is the lens I use the most.
Now I have a Canon 40D. It's a good camera, but the thing about photography is you always want more!! I'm sticking with my D40 for awhile but someday want to upgrade to a 5D. The next lens I want is a 30mm 1.4- or maybe it's the 85mm 1.8 I want- I can't remember- I'm not getting it anytime soon.
Here's the other thing about photography- there's so much to learn it's not even funny. I know nothing, really!! I have barely scratched the surface and it is hard to make time to do more research. But it is so fun when you figure it out and make it work for you!
To edit my photos I use Photoshop Elements. I can't afford the real photoshop right now- hopefully someday. Elements is only $80 and does a lot of the same things. There are a ton of tutorials and instructions on how to do things online. I don't have one specific website that I go to. When I have a question I just type it into google and read everything that comes up. It takes a lot of time- that's the bad part. I always sharpen my photos a little bit and then lighten them too if I need to. Sometimes I mess with the contrast. Also, I recently bought a noiseware program that is fun to play with because it can make your pictures look more clear- but you have to be careful because it can make it look fake too if you do too much.
Hmmm, what else..... the very basic thing that I started with was not using flash anymore. Turn your flash off! It gives you a better "real life" look without that blaring light in everyone's faces. If you need more light in the photo, up your ISO- the higher the ISO the more light. BUT the ISO also makes extra noise in your photo- so don't make it too high if you're going to enlarge the picture. Unless you have noiseware! That's that other program you can buy that takes the noise out. See? There's so much- the info. out there is never ending. So, for more light, use a higher ISO and a wider aperature (that's why the 50mm 1.8 lens is so great).
One more tip- read your camera manual constantly. Try to figure out one more thing on your camera every week and then practice!! For instance- white balance is just a click away but can make a huge difference in the coloring of your photo. Camera's are normally just set on Auto White Balance but you can choose another function- like if you're in the shade, or under flourescent lighting and it fixes the coloring of your photo. This is very basic stuff but just getting to know all of the functions on your camera is the first step. And practice all of the time. I have taken thousands of photos in the last year.
Here are some that are not my best but I've been meaning to post them to remember this fun hike we went on. There is this huge fallen tree that my kids like to play on.
With these photos the only editing I did was going into IPHOTO on my mac and choosing the "antique" look. I like that.




That's all I can think of right now!
Hope it helps a little for those of you trying to figure things out!
Hope it helps a little for those of you trying to figure things out!
14 comments:
it's fun to watch you progress in your photography. you are doing great, and it's motivational to me.
I used to be in your parents ward. You are very inspiring, and I look forward to reading your posts. I am definitely a lurker too- keep them coming though, I've been in that blogging slump before.
I started getting more serious about photography last summer. Sounds like we are in the same boat- except I'm a Nikon girl.
The only question you didn't answer that I was wondering about was how you are doing your black frames. I can do that in photoshop elements but it takes awhile. I wondered if you found a way to apply them more easily?
You have a good eye for photography and, after following your blog for awhile, your pictures have really gotten better and better.
Meg, you're right ! I forgot to respond to that question- sorry. So, my way is probably not shorter than yours. I make a new layer and fill it black, then get the rectangular marquee tool and make an edge around it, then feather or "Refine edge" so that it is round, then delete the middle of it, then mess with the opacity of that layer to make it lighter if I want..... if you want more details and the exact directions, let me know and I'll write them out for you.
thanks I have been wondering about your photography. You really do a great job. My problem, I hate reading instructions. I feel like I never get it. It works for me a lot better if someone shows me. But they don't so I just go thru life being a frustrated photographer. lol. just give us little tips every once in a while, I can handle instructions in small doses.
Do you ever adjust your photos (besides antiquing) in iphoto? I have a mac too and I love the easiness of it, but maybe PSE is better - I have that too.
Hi Stefani,
All I do in IPHOTO is the antiquing and I don't really do that much. Mostly I use PSE -- I feel like it can do a lot more and I'm just more used to it. I know what you mean about using the manual and reading the instructions- what kind of camera do you have and what lenses? If you don't have the 50mm lens- get it- it really helped me start to figure things out.
Your pictures are so great. I am always in awe. When you get a 5D I may just keel over dead from the sheer beauty...because they are so beautiful with a 4D.
Great tips. Thanks for those. I wish I had more patience with photography. Your pictures are awesome!
That looks like such a fun place to hike, now I want to take my kids there! Can you tell me where it is? We're always looking for new places to go.
Thanks!
All really great information! Thanks for sharing it. I just was handed a camera at a baby shower this morning, and so I quickly turned off the flash and went to work snapping away. I have to get better at the practicing part. You have some definate talent behind all that perseverence too Denae. You are really good!
D-Dawg- hey!
I dont' often comment because I keep thinking my comment will be lost in the swarms that you usually get - but I wanted to give you a quick shout out. I love reading your life. Also - thank you for the photo tips. The photos you have been posting on your blog have been amazing - I wish I could hire you to come and snap a few of my family. And thank you for the tips on this post. I have a stupid point and shoot camera and I threw away the manual that came with it. However, today I was inspired by your thoughts and messed around with it and actually managed to take some pretty good ones - I couldn't believe it!! So keep sharing your photo thoughts.
Hey D-Dawg-I would like to know what noiseware you are using.
Cool tips! I'm homesick for that hike you've photographed. I know exactly where it is....I'm calling B&H Photo Video tomorrow to find out about a 50mm/1.8 lens.
Great info. I have wanted a higher apperture lens although I like the zoom also... have any suggestions on a lens with some zoom and high apperture? We have had a Rebel for 4+ years - never taken off auto. Adam just got me a 50D for Christmas so one of my goals for this year is to learn how to use it. I have been doing pretty good - I am reading (SLOWLY) Understanding Exposure which is a great book.
Post a Comment