Kindergarten means children's garden. Well, it sure didn't feel like a garden today.
I have been working in Lexi’s classroom for the past little while. I only go for one hour each time. And I’m here to say that.... one hour is going to kill me. For the entire 60 minutes I am bothered and stressed out.
If I could just sit and chat with the kids I would be alright. Then I could get the details on the classroom and friendships... the interesting stuff. But no. I have to WORK. And it is hard. Today I had to sit at the tiny table and do workshops. My workshop was doing workbooks. 2 different workbooks with 5 kids each time.
All 5 of them work at different paces and are on totally different levels. So that means I have to work with each one individually to get them to get their work done. But I have to work with each one individually ALL AT THE SAME TIME. While the other 4 are tapping me or saying, “excuse me Miss Denae?” 25 times in a row. AND I have to get all of their workbook pages done before the little tiny bell rings, and have the pages ripped out and stapled and put in their folders and have their workbooks returned to the shelf.
Does that sound impossible? Because it is.
So guess what I did? I did their work for them. I spazzed out and just started telling everyone what to write and where. I realize that is not going to help them to learn. But why do I care? I’m only there for an hour and I just need to get through that hour without hurting anyone (especially the kid across from me who has kicked my shins 10 times).
Lessons I’ve learned:
1) I could never teach kindergarten… this doesn’t mean I don’t like kindergarteners. I do, they are cute. Well, some are. I just don’t want to spend 4 hours a day in a room with 20 of them, trying to accomplish something.
2) If you want your kid to know what is going on, you have to work on things at home with them a lot…. And if you don’t, your kid will be behind and cause problems for the volunteering parent.
3) Kindergarten teachers are angels and I’m thankful for them.
4) I looked at Lexi and few times amid all of the chaos, and understood why she comes home a little frazzled sometimes. I want our home to be a peaceful, quiet, serene, restful, place that my children can come home to after a stressful day in that crazy, loud, wiggly, place we call school.
5) I could never teach kindergarten… oh wait, I already said that.
10 comments:
First post I have ever read that had me laughing out loud for a LONG time. I cannot believe you did their work for them. Tsk Tsk.... Pretty Dang funny Denae.
Denae I have tears in my eyes from laughing and I had to call marc in from the other room to read your blog to him. You are so funny, but so bad, too! You are going to get fired!
I wish you had a newspaper column, I would read it every day.
You crack me up Denae! Were you getting hives?! Seriously though, that would stress me out too! How funny that you totally did their work for them! I love that! Thanks for the laugh! I miss my funny college roommate/cousin!
denae, i got stressed just reading it! good luck!!! that will be quite a challenge!
very funny!
That was the funniest post! I especially love lesson number two - I'll be certain to work on James's homework extra hard with him so that it doesn't cause problems for the volunteering parent ;)
I bet Lexi LOVES that you are coming into her class. When I've gone into my children's classes, its been crazy too. Hang in there Denae--you're doing a good thing!
so funny! I've heard that kindergarten's are a lot more academic these days. crazy. Those teachers must have sooo much patience!
Ha ha!! This was a great post for me to read because I am going to help out at the school this week and next- I plan to do 1 hour in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade- we'll see how that goes! I kind of don't want to now.
Don't remind me. I have to go into Henry's class tomorrow!
Your sister sent me the link to your blog. Lemme tell you, she did NOT warn me to drink and swallow my juice before I read anything you have to say! You are hilarious!!!!!!!!!
excuse me, miss denea, bam--kicking your shins, etc..
I'm afraid! I'm sooooo afraid of kindgarten! :)
Post a Comment