"The good you do
today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you
have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the
end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them
anyway."—Mother Teresa
Recently we checked a book out from the library about Mother Theresa and I read a little bit about her- it was interesting and inspiring. We all can't be like her, of course. But we can do our best in our own little world.
I don't know if I've been giving my best lately. Ok, actually I do know that I haven't. I haven't wanted to do my best everyday... I've wanted to slack off and give myself a break. Because sometimes it seems that the good I do in one day is forgotten the next- so why do it all again? It's not like me to be lazy and selfish and I know it's ok to be in a slump every so often. January and February always hit me hard but I'm going to get back on track in March- I've already started and it's good.
As a Mother, I so often feel like my time is all spent helping the kids with what they need and want. And I find that I become really selfish with my time because of that. But being selfish, even if it's deserved, is never good. It always leads to more selfishness... more thinking just about myself.
I feel like I'm always hearing how important it is to fill your cup first, and take care of YOU so you are able take care of others. I definitely think that is true to an extent. But I also think that can go too far and can start a cycle of negativity when other people need us, or getting upset when our own time is taken by someone else. Instead, if we have the mindset that we are going to put others first, then we can start a cycle of unselfishness. I really need to do better in this area. I know that my kids will learn more from who I am than what I tell them. I am so aware of them noticing me. I notice myself telling them not to do this and that, to be better... but am I modeling that for them? I don't know. It is something I want to work on.

6 comments:
Oh denae, , you always inspire me to be better. I love this quote, and I love your honesty. Thank you.
Ditto to what Ashley said!! Your kids are so lucky to have you as a mother because it's obvious how much their happiness means to you. Thank you for such an awesome example of what love really is :) It is motiviating and inspiring to say the least.
what a great quote...love this post...thanks for sharing!
I LOVE This! I've actually been writing something along these lines as well, but I deleted it last night because I decided it was too preachy (but your post isn't too preachy at all). I believe in that whole "fill your cup" thing, but I don't think it needs to be filled first--I believe that I can take turns with my cup and others cup throughout my days. Also--I think it's important to remember that it's a cup, NOT a five gallon jug!
And there you have it--a little bit of preachiness. Sorry 'bout that.
Well said
Such a great post, Denae. I need to do better...and try harder...and not let it overwhelm me...
Thanks for your honesty...I always appreciate it so much :)
Post a Comment