Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Parenting.... Again. And Other Stuff.


I recently did a 5 random things post on Instagram and one thing that I wrote was that I obsess over my parenting too much and if I'd just leave my kids alone they'd probably be better off.  Since I wrote that I've been noticing it a lot.  I think about parenting so much!  I worry that I'm not doing things right or that the things I think I'm doing right could turn out to be wrong.  My kids are getting older and my parenting needs to change as they grow to fit their needs.  That's hard for me.  I get used to doing things a certain way and I have to try hard to adjust.  It is a never ending challenge for me.  But for the most part I like the subject of parenting.  I like to make goals and try to be better.  I love having moments where thoughts just click and what your doing makes sense.  I love when I have a day where I feel like I did a good job.  

Here is what I'm working on right now:

LOVE- We had a church meeting recently and one of the talks was on love.  It was so, so good.  I sat there and realized that I'm always trying to find the right answers to our problems/dilemmas/situations, but it's easy-  the answer is always love.  If you don't feel it, pray for it.  And even if I don't teach my kids anything, or if I fail in everything, as long as I loved them and they know it and can feel it, then I'm good.  So I've been trying to respond with love to whatever comes up.  It's hard and I'm not super awesome at it yet!  But when I succeed it feels so good.  "He that knoweth not love, knoweth not God, for God is love."  

FUN- I am trying to be more of a fun Mom.  Life gets crazy and I feel like I'm the one that has to balance it all and it can just wipe the fun right out of me.  I used to more fun.  But getting older, more tired, trials, etc can make a person more serious.  Not that we have hard things going on right now- we don't.  And I'm happy.  I just crave more simple, quiet time so if we ever have a spare moment that's what I want to do!  And for kids, simple and quiet does not equal fun.  So I'm working on bringing my fun back.

SEEING THE HAND OF GOD IN MY LIFE- this was a recent Sunday School lesson that I taught my class so it has been on my mind.  I'm trying to write a few sentences each night on how God blessed our family that day.  I bought my kids a journal and we talked about it and they are doing it too.  Their entries have been so precious.  The more I do this, the more I see the blessings.  I'm so thankful for that.  I have a list a page long of tender mercies I've experienced recently- it's amazing how they stand out when you look for them.

That's all for parenting for now.  A few other things:

*I'm going to do love week again.  Starting tomorrow.  Want to join me??
*Those butterscotch chocolate caramels from Trader Joes that I mentioned in a recent post are OUT!  If anyone sees them at any Trader Joes anywhere can you buy me some?  I'm completely obsessed and would die of happiness to have a bag again.  I will pay you back including shipping and tip.
*The other day I had a strange experience where I was working with a toddler that seemed like such a big boy to me and then I found out he was born 6 days before Mack.  It hit me like a ton of bricks that my BABY will be two very soon and is a toddler, not a baby.  It's hard to explain but it was trippy and blew my mind.  Now I am looking at him in a whole new light and realizing I need to start treating him like the age he really is.  He's so much more capable than I give him credit for- it's weird.

Below you will find some adorable pictures of my lover boy Mr. Mack Harlow.  I love his fake smile pose in this first photo and his bow tie and baggy pants makes me cry inside with joy. 











Until next time.....

4 comments:

JCW said...

Share all your parenting tips! I would love to hear them. My biggest tip is from my friend who is a mother of six kids. At BYU she took a marriage and family class and the teacher told them that if they took one thing away from the class, JUST ONE THING, it would be this sentence, "The purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship." That's it. And it is so simple but so profound, because everything I do can get muddled and hurried and rushed and impatient with my kids and I constantly have to remind myself that I'm doing all this stuff, all these little things, to strengthen my relationship with them. FHE, prayer, fun stuff, cudding, bath time, dinner...everything can be done in a way that strengthens the relationship and not be taken for granted. And I think it applies to our relationship with HF too, all the little things we can do for our callings or Visiting Teaching or prayer...The purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship. I think you are probably a pretty good mom, your kids have to know how much you love them.

Tiffany said...

I love this post. and wanted to thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I always love hearing from people who I know have been in my shoes before, or at least similar ones. It makes me feel not so "alone" and sometimes going through infertility can make you feel very "alone."
Also, I'm so excited you're doing love week again! I need to get my act together and do it too!

Tiffany said...

p.s. can you e mail me that church talk you mentioned? I'm not sure if you have my e mail... its tiffanyannebrimhall@gmail.com
Thanks Denae!

Lauren in GA said...

I think your little Lover Boy is so SCRUMPTIOUS! Those pictures are so fabulous...dying over the patches on that little sweater!

I love all of the things that you are working on in your parenting. I am finding it hard to grow and change my parenting as they grow and change.

You are so awesome, Denae. Truly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails