Thursday, January 07, 2010

My Hero

My sister Kaley is off track at college and home for this semester. She came up to my house this week and stayed for 2 days to help me.

I'm not going to lie and pretend to be superwoman or something. This 2 babies thing is HARD!! It's killing me!! I know eventually I'll get used to not being able to do anything else except baby-care, but it is frustrating right now to not get one thing done most days. I go from baby to baby to baby and back again. I'll get one baby settled and the next one needs me. I'll change one diaper only to smell another poopy on another bum a minute later. I'll get one down for a nap just as the other cries out from their crib! It is exhausting, sometimes hilarious (in a depressing/emotional way), and high-stress too. I knew it would be hard but you never really know till you're in it!

Lexi and Logan were close in age but they were both very easy, mellow and low-key/happy babies so it was do-able. These babies are different and "high needs" so it is more stressful, demanding and tiring. Also, I'm 9 years older then I was last time. That makes a huge difference. I am a major fan of having babies when you're young!

Anyway, Kaley came over, took care of the kids, picked up my house, did my dishes and hung out with me. I got to run errands alone, take a nap (best part), and go to the doctor with just one kid instead of 3 like usual. I also got to bake some cookies, do some laundry and make dinner- all things that have been impossible lately. It was very nice and so helpful. I really super bad wish she could just live with me this semester but I know my parents want her around too! Pluse she has a job. Also, I'm sure her ideal life right now does not include a household of 5 children. Even though she rocks at childcare and household duties. Kaley thank you! You are my hero!

14 comments:

Kath said...

Somehow having the kids all casual and lounging makes them look much more {realistic} like a handful than your darling, perfectly dressed and polished Christmas card photos. You DO have your hands full. I support hired help. Find someone to help you on a regular basis. It would totally be worth the $$. And heck, with all of your duties, you have to be saving money on your shopping budget, right?

the wrath of khandrea said...

i know i say this all the time, but i really do not miss those days at all. i love independent children.

hang in there! you are doing great things.

Stefani said...

This is my type of bail-out! ;)

rachel said...

Oh how I hear you!! What an awesome sister. Is she at BYU-I?
I have a seven year gap between my two "sets" and boy is there a difference in my energy levels with the baby thing.
Enjoy having your sister around as long as she's here before heading back to school.

diane said...

I'm glad you got a little break. You go girl. You can do it.

Ashley said...

This post reminded me a bit of when Max was a baby and how ridiculous it was trying to do anything with two babies! And I didn't even have 3 other kids! It is so hard and impossible. The only solution I found was to not even think about projects for a year and to let my house get messy, and then to take help from moms and babysitters whenever I could get it. How fabulous to have Kaley--maybe she'll come back on a regular basis! I paid an 11-year-old to come hold Max for a couple hours a week and it saved my sanity. It will pass though--they will be bigger and life will be easier soon!

Cardalls said...

sisters are the best!

Kaley said...

Thanks for the post sis! I loved coming to help- really. I love all your kids and it was fun to visit with you and Dave...Hopefully I'll be able to come up a few more times before I go back to Rexburg. Love you!

Jessica said...

Denae, I had such a hard time with my transition to five. And you've gone from 3-5, with twoo little babies. It must be so hard. I'm glad you had a little help.

Lauren in GA said...

I think you are truly amazing. I only have one baby and he is doing me in. I totally nodded my head in agreement when you said that you were younger last time you dealt with anything kind of like this. I can't believe how much harder it is to get up at night with my baby than it was 6 years ago. I guess age 39 is a lot older than I thought it was gonna be.

You are awesome. We love you.

Good Time Charlie said...

You have the bestest sister! I am constantly in awe of you and all that you have taken on and are doing to make a difference in these kid's lives. Your family will be so blessed by all of the sacrifices. Yikes though, it was making me remember what it was like to have twin babies. Whew, just makes me tired to think about it. Excuse me, I need to go lay down now.

Annette said...

So impressed with Kaley, but Denae, YOU are my hero!

angie said...

Ummmm.... Kays where are u??? Come hang out with me for a few days! I would love it!!!

I bet the kids had a blast with you... You rock girl!!

Natalie said...

Yes, yes and YES to everything you said. Welcome to my life with five little ones; not a thing gets done around here other than taking care of them. Dinner? Groceries? Those are bonuses. Your sister should advertise her services. I'd pay! Not kidding....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails