Thursday, May 14, 2009

Running Update

This week I'm running three miles. I'm building up to 13 for my half marathon. Building up sloooowly.
One of my run's was pretty rough for 3 reasons.

1. I almost threw up. I was 3/4 of the way done and my mind wandered to the delicious homemade bread loaf that I had consumed the day before. I thought, perhaps, that I would like to consume some more when I got home and that's when I basically dry heaved. I guess one should not think about food when running, sweating and out of breath. My body did not like the thought of bread at that point.

2. I got startled. I was about 1/2 of the way through my run, listening to my music and praying that it would all be over soon. I heard a slight noise over my shoulder so I glanced briefly to my side. That is when I saw a human form right behind me!! I was not expecting someone behind me! My body immediately went into defense mode. I screamed, jumped back and put both hands up as if to fight or defend. It was humiliating. The woman apologized and ran past. A few moments later, when she turned around we had to pass eachother again. Embarassing. Rediculous. I am a spaz.

3. I almost cried. Yes, it's true, I got a little choked up on my run. I was listening to Miley Cyrus's song, "The Climb." And I was really tired and my body hurt. I was running up a small hill and the words to her song just hit home and the crying lump formed in my throat.

The Lyrics (with my minute by minute thoughts in parantheses)

"There's always gonna be another mountain (I felt like I was running up a mountain), I'm always gonna wanna make it move! Always gonna be an uphill battle (I was really fighting to keep going this morning), sometimes I'm gonna have to looooose (I want to quit and forget the half marathon- it's too hard). Ain't about how fast I get there (is a 15 minute mile ok?), ain't about what's waiting on the other siiiiide (yes it is- my food, my water, never having to run again), it's the cliiiiiimb (Help! I can't climb any longer)!"

The tears came to my eyes BUT they did not spill out. I held it together. I have to admit though I have had daydreams of myself at the finish line of the 1/2 marathon crying and hugging everyone. Ok, now I'm really embarrassed.

No more confessions.

The song is inspirational. Please download it from itunes immediately. Also, go see the movie, we liked it.

Speaking of songs and music and stuff like that- I was sad to see Danny go last night BUT I totally recognize that Adam is the best one out there and deserves the Idol Crown 100%. He will get my vote for sure. When his makeup is less dramatic and he smiles, I love him again.

19 comments:

Audry said...

That's so funny. We liked the movie too. And of course we have the song.

Amanda D said...

I love that song too. And now when I hear it I will imagine you running up a mountain.

Good luck on the run. You can do it!

Kath said...

Do you eat before you run? Are you running within the first 1/2 hour of waking? cuz then for 3 miles (or up to 6) you wouldn't need to eat, usually. You can always run with one ear plugged to tunes and the other avail. for passers by. also, you can run with mace. I did not cry at the completion of my halfs but definitely tears at the end of the the full. If you cry and hug...who cares? you deserve it. Maybe you are running too fast.
I think you are awesome to set a tough goal...hang in there!!

JCW said...

The first few warm-up miles are always the hardest even if you're an experienced/in shape runner. Kind of like getting out of bed in the morning, the first few minutes are the worst but once you make yourself get up and get going your body adjusts... and if you can run 6 miles you can run 8, 10, 13 and it will eventually all start to feel good...you can do it Denae, don't give up!

RaeAnn said...

good for you! I remember way back in my cross country days I was freaking out, dying, weak-leged, and then within a couple of weeks I would run a mile to WARM UP, stretch, run six more and feel great. Our bodies can do anything--it is our minds that hold us back!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i am laughing so hard at the image of you being startled by a fellow runner. sometimes you are so cute denae. i just love it.

rachel said...

Love your spaz story!! I can so relate to stuff like that. lol

I love Miley Cyrus!! and I, too, am easily choked up over songs.

Keep up the good work with your training.

kara jayne said...

You had me until...

"Adam is the best one out there and deserves the Idol Crown 100%"

His talent is undeniable, but the best one out there?! I think the job Kris did on Heartless was nothing short of AMAZING. ...and it was ALL HIM...no lights, no back up band, no smoke and make-up. I admit it gave me a little crush.

Adam can sing...I just don't like it when he does.

Oh wait...this wasn't an Idol post...

...being a runner I completely understand where you are coming from. You will be awesome and it will get easier. I have to agree with one of your commenters Kath...

run first thing in the morning before you eat anything and don't even drink much.

You will cry and hug...and you should. WAY TO GO DENAE!!

Tami said...

You are doing so great with the running! Keep it up girl! I love you dearly but... I can't stand Adam. I miss Danny already!

Anonymous said...

Way to go girl! I also love that song and always think of my own mountains I want to move. It really is a fabulous song.

Stefani said...

Ha! Ha! I love your little commentary. I'm glad you didn't stop. And nothing like some good tunes to keep you going! I love it!

And I hate to disagree with you but I'm gonna have to vote for Kris. I've been listening to Adam and Kris's songs while driving around today and analyzing their voices. And I have to say with out the "visual" Kris's deserves the vote. His voice does way cooler things.

D-dawg said...

Guys, I respect your love for Chris BUT did you hear him go off tune in his piano song on Tuesday night? He sang a few wrong notes and at this stage in the competition (dawgs) you have to be ON! Yo, his song was just ah-ight for me. I just don't know if he has STAR quality. Also, I hate when his jaw shifts to the side when he's open mouth singing. Have you noticed that?

Bottom line, this is tough competition and they both deserve to be the American Idol!!!!!!!!!!

Cecilia said...

Way to go Denae! I love that song and the great message behind it! Oh, I have so many mountains to move.....
PS-I was also sad to see Danny go, but Kris did a really good job with that song!!!!

Lauren in GA said...

I loved the confession...just so you know.

I am so sad Danny is gone. *sniff*

Lisa-Marie said...

Ah. You have inspired me to put that song on Kendon's ipod so I can listen to it when I run. I just started running too and it is hard. I can do a full hard-core hour of kickboxing but running is so different. It kicks my bootay. I'm only up to 1 1/2 miles so far. I run with my 11 year old nephew sometimes and it is so fun to be motivated by him!

I'll be thinking of you (and giggling at your startled story) while i'm running tomorrow.

The Dean Family said...

it was fun catching up on your blog..good luck with the running! i so know how you feel about the clean house thing i wrote a whole blog entry on that one!! happy be-lated mothers day to you..your kids are darling!

queenieweenie said...

Runners amaze me-I for one cannot imagine a worse hell. I enjoy exercise, just not running.

I love "The Climb" too-shhh..don't tell my teenagers 'cause they'd be really embarassed.

Lillie said...

I get that knot in my throat SO easily when I run or am working out hard. What is it about extending yourself that makes it so easy to burst.

Scott McMillan said...

That is so funny about the lady startling you. I am so proud of how hard you are working. I just got called into young womens for the first time as well. I have had every RS and only RS calling for the past 10 years.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails