Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Opinion on Fighting Siblings

In my opinion and experience, siblings who fight end up to be better friends as adults than siblings who do not fight.  My siblings and I fought a lot.  We had fun too but there was definitely fighting going on.  Now we are great friends, have a blast together and are very similar in the way we live our lives.  There are a few other families that I know personally who did not fight as children.  Now, as adults they are not close friends and do not see each other very often, talk on the phone much, hang out or really communicate at all.  My study is very accurate and I know I'm right because I am basing my conclusion on 4 whole families and so that must make it true for everyone else in the world too.

Obviously I am kidding and know that it all depends on the people, situation, tons more factors etc. etc.  I know you all know someone though who is like that.  Totally serious in thinking that everything they believe to be true is RIGHT!!  I can't be friends with people like that.  

Moving on.
The reason I am telling you my opinion about fighting children is because this opinion makes me feel better when my kids are fighting.  I tell myself they will be best friends when they grow up and that the fighting is normal (which I know it is).

The main fighting that is going on is between Logan and Macey.  And sometimes Lexi and Macey.  Macey came into the world with a fighting spirit.  It will help her in a lot of ways I'm sure but around the house it doesn't help anyone.

She fights them and fights them and then wonders why they don't want to play with her and why they run off and hide together.  It's sad but true.  Today was extra rough because it was St. Patty's day and my kids changed their clothes like 5 times and when they ended up without green on there were some pinching fights and people defending themselves from getting pinched but in the process of defending themselves, hurting people.  It wasn't pretty.  I'm hoping to skip this holiday next year.

This post is a rambler.   Bottom line:  most kids fight.  I'm ok with mine fighting.  I think it's normal, but sometimes sad.  I think fighting is communicating which is good and means they'll communicate when they grow up and be good friends.  The End.






24 comments:

Paige said...

works for me D-dawg. My kids are going to be fantastic friends due to your awesome theory.

Please read "Raising your spirited Child." It helped me with my one kid who makes me cry everyday, and I swear it will help you with your youngest. It really helps you to focus on their fantastic qualities and appreciate them while helping you to manage the naughty. Not that she's naughty, I'm just sayin'.

the wrath of khandrea said...

ah yes. the "spirited child" book. it was a must read for me as well.

my kids fight every single day. more often than not. i am hopeful that your theory is true. unlike you, however, i cannot stand it. i have zero tolerance for it, and i "invite" them to step outside until they are finished. snow, rain, doesn't matter. mother nature can be a fabulous conflict resolutionist.

and as always, superb pictures.

diane said...

Did you call them the Fighting Irish today?

My baby always fought with her brothers. Now she misses them so much it brings her to tears.

Kaley said...

If your theory is right then Landon and I will be the BEST friends ever when we're older =)

Cecilia said...

Sounds good! I hope you're right cuz my kids are always fighting and then my daughter keeps saying that my son is her best friend.

Love the photos!

Stefani said...

my fighting spirited one is in the middle - it makes it hard on the older one and the younger one. Actually she probably wouldn't be such a fighter if just everyone would just realize that she is RIGHT at ALL times. LOL. I like your theory. It's true for me and my siblings.

Mindy said...

I don't know why I never even thought that fighting could lead to friendship, but I think you're totally right! I'm excited at this thought because I hope it means that my boys will be close. But fighting drives me crazy. I can't listen to it for more than a minute before I lose my mind and yell at them all to just give Jude whatever he wants.

Those pictures are incredible. Treasures.

rachel said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen.

First of all, yes. My sister and I fought BAD and now could't be closer. I love her sooooo much and we are best best best friends.

Secondly, I'd be a rich woman if I got a nickel for every time I told my daughters they're best friends - they just don't know it yet!

Your pics are incredible. INCREDIBLE. I guess it doesn't hurt that you have A.DORABLE kids to model for ya. ;)

Laura said...

Thanks for posting. I'm an only child so I never experienced sibling fighting, so it baffles me in my own children.

Ashley said...

I feel for Macey, man. I fought so bad with my brothers brett and craig. Then when Kimberly was born we had quite the feud for like 7 years about everything. I think I must have gotten what Macey has. Kimberly and I are really close now, me and my brother don't talk a ton, but have no problems with each other. We definitely don't fight anymore.

Annemarie said...

My kids will be inseparable as adults.

I was just thinking about this exact theory the other day when I almost couldn't stand the fighting anymore. My brother and I fought terribly when we were young, but would do ANYTHING for eachother and eachother's families now. I just have to keep reminding myself of that!
Great post.

Tiffiny said...

So Reef (my 3 year old who is also the third child) was born with a fighting spirit as well. I like to think it's because these little ones need to be strong-willed and stubborn for the future world they will have to face. If we teach them the right ways (and they choose to follow it) then nothing will be able to touch 'em.... right? **crossed fingers**

Lauren in GA said...

Denae, this post helped me feel better because my kids really go at it. There are fisticuffs involved, too. It can get really bad. I am hoping they will be great friends as adults...having that hope will help me survive the day in and day out of breaking up the WWF action that goes on around here.

Scott McMillan said...

I bit my sister so hard she almost needed stitches (so says my mom which might not be 100% accurate) and now we are great friends!! I like the theory.

Lesley said...

Okay, Denae those are the cutest pictures of your kids! I love them! So stinkin' cute!

Julie said...

I love your theory. If it is true then my kids will be the bestest friends ever when they grow up:) Gorgeous pictures!

Ashley said...

These pictures are fabulous! You are getting so good. What do you use for the backdrop?

D-dawg said...

Ashley I used seamless paper you can buy it at any photo store or online.

Ilene said...

I don't believe you anymore. Your claims go moot when you post those adorable pictures following your argument.

Fight stories make for great conversation over the Thanksgiving turkey years later, right?

Michelle said...

Cutest pictures! Great theory!

Nancy said...

I have my own sampling to add to your study. The brother just up from me and I fought like CATS AND DOGS! We were crazy! Even as young adults, we got into a verbal match and I didn't speak to have for almost two years! I'm embarassed to admit that however, we are the BEST of friends now. We talk almost daily and are super close. I hope the same for my kids!

Jake said...

This post brought me comfort! Thanks, D-Dawg.

Nortorious said...

This is why moms take lots of pictures. So we can admire them when they're asleep and not fighting.

Christal said...

I LOVE this post! So glad your kids fight maybe mine are normal than ha ha! They fight all the time too! Yours are so dang cute!!! { I kind of agree with you though on the sibling fighting thing my siblings and I fought all the time and now we are like best of friends! So I have to agree with your theory! hope all is going good! ttys

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails