Thursday, September 04, 2008

I Can't Believe It's September Already


My Pet Dogs In Their Cages August 2008

(this picture has nothing to do with this post... it's just a glimpse into my life of never ending animal pretending games. I don't even like pets but everyday I have 3 of some sort of animal running around.)


Today when I was doing laundry, cleaning the house, and packing to go out of town for the weekend, I started to get that little sick feeling in my stomach that I get whenever I leave my family for any longer then one day. Isn't that weird? I mean, my kids are big now, my husband can handle things and we've been married for so long I shouldn't miss him at all, so what's the deal? I seriously get nervous and sad every time. I have problems.

But I'm leaving for a good cause! I am going to see my nephew get blessed and my niece get baptized- both awesome occasions. I'm taking Lexi with me and think it will be some good one on one time for us.

The only problem is, I'm tired. I've been working so hard these last few weeks getting my new house set up (did I mention that we moved? Just a few blocks away but still... it was hard), doing Relief Society stuff, a couple of photo shoots for friends, kids homework, piano, soccer and playdates, volunteering at school, starting a new exercise schedule, hanging out with family in town during free time, and re-starting the foster care stuff (it had slowed down for awhile but now we're back on track). Anyway, I was saying, I'm tired.

It's a good tired though... the kind of tired you feel when you're getting things done. Sometimes I am so amazed at how much a mom can do in a day, and then I'm like wait, hold on a second, when did I become some mom doing all this stuff? It is just crazy. I think I'm always going to feel like a little girl inside but really I am a 30 year old mom doing all sorts of mom things- Weird!

That paragraph I just wrote was so lame it reminded me of "deep thoughts" by Jack Handey. And then I died laughing to myself right now because I remembered a deep thought of his and I must share it with you,

"you know one thing that will really make a woman mad? Just run up and kick her in the butt. P.S. this also works with men."

The thing I love about Deep Thoughts are they are so stupid you can't even believe someone actually thought it up. Stupid humor is my favorite. Also, I am so lucky because I live with a man who gives me an original deep thought at least once a day. He is so funny. And speaking of him I can't even begin to keep track of everything he does for me everyday. It's the best, and he's the best, and I'm thankful. Plus he always does it with a smile on his face.

The other day I was thinking of some things I do that actually make him mad. One of them is if we are arguing and we both think we're right but then it turns out that he's really right and I sort of realize it, but I pretend I don't, and I keep arguing my position even though I'm wrong, and then he gets super mad. But Dave's "mad" is like most people's neutral... mad for him just means he's not smiling or laughing. And now, after writing all of this, I think I'm going to miss him even more this weekend. I'm weird. And I'm rambling. But that is fine because it is my blog and I can do whatever I want. Like write weird, rambling posts like this one when I should be going to bed.


How pretty is the moon in this picture??




28 comments:

Lindsey said...

Nice stream of consciousness that I totally relate to and that totally made me laugh. My roommate in college could quote ALL of Jack Handey's Deep Thoughts...I wish I could think of one right now... Have fun! :)

Bridget said...

Whenever I had free time between classes at BYU I would go to the bookstore and read Jack Handey Deep Thought cards. Nathan and I were actually talking about these just yesterday. Remember the one...."I don't think clowns are funny. Actually I think they're kind of scary. I think its because when I was a kid my dad was killed by a clown."

Love your new cruise profile picture. You look gorgeous.

Julie said...

You HAVE been doing a lot lately. It makes me tired thinking about it. Whenever I move I swear I'll never move again for 10 years. We are excited to see you!

Cecilia said...

Don't be sad! Just enjoy every minute of it with Lexi and your family. You'll be back before you know it :)
Have a fun trip!

Tami said...

Girl you crack me up! I have so many "Jack" sayings in my drawer, and I'm so glad you reminded me of him because they just make your day brighter! I'm going to have to look them up! I love the photos! Have fun!

stephanie said...

re your pic, i like how macey is at the top for maximum head trama. she is the dare devil right?

♥Shally said...

I get that wierd feeling when I leave my family too-- I used to get it all the time when Zach would go on road trips.

Hate that.

And Zach and Dave have the same mad.

It makes ME mad sometimed that he doesn't ever get mad. I keep telling him "SCREAM! YELL! STOMP YOUR FEET!!"

Poor Zach...

Mindy said...

That picture of the kids is so cute! They need to teach my kids how to use their imaginations a little more. Or maybe I just need to turn off the TV.

I loved this post! I loved all your ramblings and hearing about what your feeling and doing these days. Moving must be so incredibly stressful! Did you just drive your things down the street in your car, or did you rent a truck?

Have a fun weekend with your family. That sounds like a fun little getaway, and I'm sure it will give good memories for you and Lexi.

"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face." - Jack Handy, Deep Thoughts

"Dad always thought that laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy, Deep Thoughts

Celia Fae said...

My feelings when I leave my kids with my husband are joy and happiness. You are going to be a better mother when you return.

Great cruise picture.

I agree. Being a mom is tough. We work our buns off.

Lesley said...

Wait....YOU MOVED?!!! I want some pics!!! How come you moved? I need your new address! You have been so busy!!! Have fun on your little trip with Lexi! That will be fun! I totally remember deep thoughts! I miss them! :) Talk to you soon!

Hollyween said...

Oh, Denae. We are so alike. I have the same rambling thoughts in my head all of the time!!!

I didn't know you moved! That right there is reason ENOUGH to be stressed. Moving is hard work!

Lorena said...

You moved? Do we get new house pictures?

I also feel like a kid trapped in a thirtysomething body. I especially feel that way since I am only 5 feet tall. When I'm pushing a shopping cart with a child in it I feel like I am playing house...until I get to the register.

It is also fun to use the crosswalk after school with all of the 6th graders and realize more than half of them are taller than I am.

And, I also very much dislike leaving my family. I worry about something happening to me or them and us not being together. Morbid, isn't it?

shauna said...

I was just going to ask you how in the world you had empty cupboards for your animals. Makes sense now that we know you moved. How'd you keep that a secret?

I love stupid senseless humor too. Love jack hanedy.

Enjoy your trip, you deserve it.

Jodie said...

i love the picture of your kids. my kids do this too...even jack has started pretending to be a dog.

when i leave my family behind i am happy but there is a part of me that hopes my kids know i love them even though i'm happy to get away.

thanks for the jack handey flashbacks. you made me laugh out loud.

Ilene said...

I hate admitting I'm wrong.

Good thing that never happens.

Phoebe said...

I agree, what's with the secret move?

Have a fun weekend. Going away is always a mixed bag of fun and stress.

Jessica said...

Ditto on the September thing, ditto on the wierd feeling when I leave my kids thing, ditto on the great husband thing, ditto on the tired thing (except I'm not actually DOING anything, other than gestating, but that counts, right?)

Thanks for sharing, as always. Such a highlight of day, when I realize it's a Denae-ramblings post. LOVE them.

Natalie said...

Denae - you moved? That's crazy, and so busy! No wonder you're tired. Send me your new address when you have a chance. (As if you don't already have enough to do...)

angie said...

I love this rambling post and we are so glad that you are coming! As you know, it's hard for me to leave my family too and I had never heard that deep thought....it's deep.

the wrath of khandrea said...

you have too much on your plate. in the immortal words of jack handy:

"i think it's a good idea to carry around a big sack of rocks. that way, if someone asks you to help with something, you can say 'sorry, got these rocks.'"

it will help.

Audry said...

Your make believe pets are very cute. I have the same thing going on over in my house.

Ames said...

hey d! I came across your blog via angie's a few months back. Your kids are beautiful! Wanted to also wish you a happy belated 30th, time flies!

amy (arroyo)

Angela said...

Hi! I'm sort of new to your blog readership. I like to come to your blog for an occassional laugh when I need a break from reality...such as when I'm up at 4am with a crying baby! Thank you for coming through for me tonight.
~ Ang

Lauren in GA said...

Okay...firstly, I love your new profile picture...

Secondly...I know what you mean about leaving your husband and kiddos. We were asked to go on the pioneer trek this December (I know, weird...I have never heard of it being done over Christmas break, either) and I am not worried about the trek or getting dirty and sleeping poorly...I am stressed about farming my kids out! I need to get over it but I can't.

Thirdly...this was such a sweet post...I love your stream of conscioiusness way of writing....you are positively delightful!

Also, thanks for commenting on my blog...I know you have so many people wanting you to read and comment on their blogs and it is stressful to try and please everybody. You are sweet to read mine.

The Dean Family said...

how fun that you moved..it can be so tiring though! i loved the photo below of your dad reading twilight..it reminded me of my father-in-law..every time i see him his nose is stuck in that book..and i'm so afraid to start it 'cause i know i won't put it down:)

Margaret said...

I like stupid humor too! Jacky Hadley cracks me up. I am also the type to laugh at the movie theater when no one else is laughing...it embarasses my husband but I can't help it.

I enjoy your ramblings! Ramble on D-Dawg!

Anonymous said...

What? When did you move?

I have been out of blogging for the summer. I think I posted like 3 times all summer. Anyway, it's nice to be able to check back on your blog again. You always crack me up!

"We asked Dad if we could have a trampoline, but he said no, that they were too dangerous and too expensive. But then we went and talked to the trampoline salesman at the store and he said they weren't too expensive or dangerous. I think I'm still sorta mad at Dad for lying to us like that." -Jack Handey

(One year we totally wanted a trampoline, and we really thought we were getting one for Christmas. After all the presents were opened, my Dad said there was one more in the garage. We went out and there was this giant box. We started jumping up and down and screaming...we were so excited. It was not for us, it was for my Mom, and it was a garage door opener.)

Rochelleht said...

Wow, I didn't realize you moved. The blogging didn't seem to suffer. I LOVE the pic of your kids, because that is what mine do EVERY day. Every day. I could open a pet shop.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails