It is their 2 week break and we are working on a project.
I had been trying to come up with something we could do together everyday. I knew we needed to work on our yard (it was a foreclosure so everything is dead) but I wasn't sure if they'd be excited about that.
In the spirit of Elder Uchtdorf's General Relief Society Meeting talk, I decided to talk to them about making things beautiful and how we could transform this ugly section of our yard into a flower garden.
Surprisingly, they were totally into it.
First day of break, yesterday, we went out and started... they worked for 2 hours!! Keep in mind they are 7, 6, and 3. Two hours of working in the yard! I kept waiting for them to get tired and go in.
We tore out all of the half-dead rose buses, dug up their roots, and weeded the whole area.
They were having so much fun too.
Today we mixed a bunch of new soil in, got all the rocks and sticks out, and flattened it out. We are also going through a book of plants and flowers and trying to pick what we want.
Tomorrow we'll start planting.



Digging out the roots was the best part- they would scream and cheer when we would finally get one out.



Macey had her moments of helping ...

But definitely played around a lot too- she was busy taking calls and rummaging through her purse.

Stay tuned....
23 comments:
First of all, a 2 week break in Sept? What kind of school system is this? Didn't your kids get a summer break? My kids have barely been in school for 5 weeks and they only get a 2 week break over Christmas.
Whew, now that I got that out I can say...you're kids did a great job of cleaning up the flower bed. What perfect ages for getting that kind of thing done!
Oops. Major typo. I meant your kids not you are kids. Weird. Sorry.
Funny thing but I think kids like to work. They feel useful, capable and happy. Good for you and good for THEM!!
I adore that Macey. A purse and cell phone for weeding!
Please send them to my house for some yard work when they're finished over there!
If you need any help on identifying poison ivy, I'm your girl. Take my advice and stay away from that devil plant!
That is so great that you have them helping. I really need to be better about this. It is so hard to have your kids help when "helping" makes the project harder. But I guess is you train them to help now, it will pay off when they really can be of help.
Wasn't President Uchtdorf's talk amazing?!?! I loved how he addressed creativity.
Also, I added my picture to your followers. I think the followers should be ranked by loyalty and longevity. Just an idea. :)
One of my favorite quotes from some-lady-speaker-I-will-never-remember-the-name-of says - "never be afraid to make your kids really work. Kids will find a way to play even while working"
I love that you guys are doing that. We're doing a project here while dad's out of town...kids aren't quite as excited as yours though. Maybe it's because it's cleaning out closets instead of seeing progress to make a garden.
Love the wood fence...such a great photo op back drop.
I love the labels the most. That's awesome they stuck through the hard work of removing roots etc. 2 hours is long even for me, so I am impressed!
One more reason you are a blue ribbon mother--you know how to make work look like fun. Awesome.
What fabulous parenting! You know I'm all about kids and work and you have taken it to a whole new level here!
You are such a great mom! You are all having fun, and you'll have something to show for it! Are you guys for hire?
I love your opening line on this post! Good for you...
Awesome Denae! I can't wait to see what you plant!
All I could think of to do is skip town!
Way to train your kids to be helpful! Good job! That is so much hard work - can't wait to see the finished product!
What a great mom you are! Seriously.☺
I love kids working! I will be showing this post to Elizabeth.
Could you please show pictures of Lexi and Logan cleaning their rooms and making their own beds next? That would help me out a ton.
You are awesome! Not only are they helping, but will appreciate it more when it is done, may be more inclined to maintain it, too. And you didn't even have to bribe them. My parents paid me $5 to rake leaves in the backyard. I still murmured thru it!
That is so wonderful. You are such a great Mom, Denae! I love how you spoke to them about Elder Uchtdorf's talk.
How amazing how they cheered when they tore up the roots. Bravo! Truly :)
hecka cute! i can just imagine these little cuties cheering when they pulled up a root! love the pic's.
Post a Comment