Monday, August 06, 2007

Rosemond Report.... Last One

Guys, here's the thing. I'm kind of sick of writing the Rosemond reports. It is like doing homework and I am done with school so I shouldn't be doing homework.

Also, my book is due at the library. I finished it and I really liked it. I agree with him on a lot of parenting issues. I've gotten some anonymous comments from people telling me that he's lied in his personal life etc. But I don't really care about his "real life," I just think his parenting philosophies are good.

So... I'm going to tell you what his 6 points are. If you want more information you can ask me, or go and check out the book. I recommend it.

Point 1. Pay more attention to your marriage than to you children. Put first things first and keep them there.

Point 2. Expect your children to obey. Stop apologizing for the decisions you make in their lives. Essential to a child's sense of security is a parent who is authoritative, decisive, and trustworthy.......powerful.

Point 3.
Expect, from an early age, your child to make regular, tangible contributions to the family in the form of CHORES. Make them responsible members of the family AND responsible for themselves. Stop trying to catch them every time they fall.... they will learn best the hard way.

Point 4. Give your child regular doses of Vitamin N. NO!!! This is an essential vitamin that too many kids do not get enough of. When they fall on the floor kicking and screaming about it, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. Frustrating them now will teach them how to deal with life better as adults.

Point 5.
When toys are concerned, less is more. When children tell us they're bored they're really telling us they've been given too much, too soon. (This is a personal favorite, we are in the process of giving away TONS of toys and I LOVE it.)

Point 6.
Don't allow more than 5 hours of good T.V. a week. Give your children one of the most precious gifts of opportunity possible in this age of high-tech: growing years that are not constantly sidetracked by the flicker of the plug-in drug. (This is another personal favorite because I HATE t.v.)

So there you go. The 6 point plan for raising happy, healthy, children. And I think it's a great book so check it out.

End of Rosemond for now.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read that book last year when we were having some issues with the terrible 2s. I LOVED the book. I wanted to act like I was in the Protestant churches and shout out many vibrant "AMEN!"s. :)

janellelee said...

awesome! we are ordering it! thanks for all the reviews! hope school is going good for everyone!!

Lillie said...

Denae- I'm feeling the stress of Sophia's binky addiction, and when I read your post about taking Macey off of it, I knew I'd come back to you with questions. How's it going? Was it just a couple of bad nights. Is she totally off of it? If you had had another baby would you have felt the need to take her off even sooner? Sophia turns two in Sep. and the baby comes in November. I feel all this stress all of a sudden because it seems all of a sudden people ask me about potty training, big girl beds, and her binky. I feel like I'm supposed to make all these big changes as soon as I can, the bed and binky before the baby. What do you think? And tell me the worst of it with Macey. I'm terrified to deal with the nights, naps, and car rides without it (that's the other time we let her use it because she's awful in the car.) Advice? ideas? encouragement? anything? :)

Lesley said...

Thanks for the pointers Denae! I am going to check out this book! I totally agree with those points so I am excited to read it!

D-dawg said...

Lillie, I'll e-mail you!

Anonymous said...

I have loved your rosemond reports. So straight to the point. I do think I will go get that book because my four year old is on one and I could use some detailed help! But thanks for the heads up. Never would have known about the book if you hadn't "reported" on it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brigitta said...

Okay I love this man. I think I need to read his book so that I can be more effective mother. I like the six points. Thanks for the info.

Celia Fae said...

I will miss the refresher course. Next can you teach us about psychology? Maybe adolescent psych?

Natalie said...

I enjoyed benefiting from all your hard work ;). Thanks so much for these reports. I also agree with much of what he says, and we can all use reminders to polish up our parenting skills. Now, take a break from the homework, you've earned it.

Lisa-Marie said...

Denae,

I found your blog through a blog through a blog....Well, you know how it goes. Anyway, I enjoy reading your day to day thoughts and really liked the Rosemond reports. I have a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 9 month old baby. I can use all the help I can get! I'm checking out the book for sure. In fact, we were at the library today, but the check out line was ridiculous, and remember the ages of my kids.... so we kept our old books for another week. I'll have to try again next week to get my hands on that great read. Or go to the library by myself!!!

Anyway, keep up the great blog. I'll keep spying on you. You're fun to read!

Lisa-Marie
lisamarieandkendonjensen.blogspot.com

Scrapbooks by Amanda said...

I have enjoyed the posts about this Rosemund guy, and I have agreed with most of it. I am sorry that you had some negative comments!

This is a good summary, and if I can remember we will go to the library and check out the book this week. I think my kids sucked all my brain power away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails