This guy is my favorite as far as child-rearing "experts" go. I think it was my mom who first introduced him to me. I like all of his ideas, and just the general philosophies he has about raising children.
I am reading a book by him right now called, "Six-Point Plan for Raising Happy, Healthy, Children." I love it. So I've decided to share it with you.
Some of you might think this is boring but it is SO interesting to me. I love to freshen up my parenting skills every once in awhile. So I'm going to be doing a series of blogs about points John makes in his book.
Maybe they can help someone out there who might be struggling at the moment with a child. We all need help in the parenting department right?
Maybe we don't, according to John.
He believes that we, as a society focus too much on "raising children."
He says that it is within all of us to know how to parent the right way, and we think too much about whether or not we are doing things "right." He says we need to just go with our heart and our gut feelings and we'll do fine.
I agree.
John says that when he and his wife tried to follow what the "experts" were saying, this is what happened,
"They (meaning the experts) said to respect Eric (his son) as an equal, but the more respect we showed him, the less he showed us. They said families should be democratic, but the more democratic we were, the more of a tyrant Eric became. They said it was wrong to control children, but the less control we exercised, the more out-of-control he was. The more wrong things went, the more guilty we felt, the more insecure Eric was, and the more crazy we all were!"
Have you ever felt that before? Or have you ever known a family that this was happening to? I have. And I have felt the guilt for sure. But we'll talk more about that later.
Tune in for the next "Rosemond Report" on.....
Attention Addiction
17 comments:
My favorite part about John Rosemond is that he tells you it's OK to lock your kids in their rooms for the entire day if they are horrid. Someday I'm going to try it. But then he says you have to toilet train at 18 months. Boo to that.
Potty training early has worked for me so far. And the thing about locking them in their room for a long time is, it works. Cause after a punishment like that, they will NEVER do whatever they did to get put in their room again.
So, I need help on getting my kids to sleep through the night. I have four; age newborn to five, and ALL four are now waking up. The oldest needs to use the bathroom, get water, etc. The four year old falls out of her bed (we have a guard/ need a wall!!) or has growing pains, and the two year old has just been transferred to a toddler bed in the same room as the other two big girls. She's not loving it. Cried ALL last night. And of course, baby boy, three weeks old Henry, is in my room because he's attached to my breast. I need sleep. PLEASE do a segment on that!
Julie, the sleep book I like is called, "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Ferber. You may have read it but it addresses TONS of sleep issues and has helped me in the past. Good luck!
yeah d! i am going to get that book b/c me and michael totally feel like the quote you put in the book w/ our son. and we are out of ideas. i am just starting to potty train at 2 1/2 but he has major behavioral/mood issues...so thanks for the post!
Yes! I love stuff like this! And I definitely need to sharpen some parenting skills. I had never heard of Rosemond before now, so I eagerly await your reports. I like the way he encourages parents to use their instincts. I have learned that my insincts will never fail me as a mom. And when I don't follow them, that's when things go down the tubes!
Thanks for sharing Denae! You always are reading some good, helpful book! I love it! I am going to get it and give it a try!
I'm very excited for this series of blogs. This guy sounds cool and I'm glad that you'll be sharing some main points. I'm always in need of some guidance in this area. I like how he says to follow our instincts more. Thanks denae!
I have never heard of this guy but I might need to check out his book. I am always looking for something like this! Thanks.
Denae,
I love your blog. Great tips too. What does Rosemond say about playinig with your kids. My five year old wants me to play with him all day. It is never enough time for him either. I wonder if he is truly needy of the time or if I should just say knock it off and go play by yourself.
Jamie
Jamie, as far as playing with your kids, I would say they need to learn how to use their imagination and entertain themselves so don't play with them. We do family outings and games and I always read to my kids, but besides that, as far as playing with toys and keeping themselves occupied, they are on their own. I will read up on this in the book and do a blog about what John would say.
John says kids should play with each other or by themselves. Not with parents. I'm feeling better about locking my kid in his room tonight after reading this again.
I used to like Rosemond's advice until he got caught recycling and making up his newspaper columns. Our hometown newspaper dropped his column, and others dropped it, too. He admitted that he got his wife pregnant before they got married, but left that out of his book A Family of Value. He puts others down for the things he's done! I was a member of his website but he just got too...I dunno. He sounded fed up with people who joined his website and often lost his temper. I saw him speak once and he was funny, but I got turned off by his style on the website and the newspaper thing.
If you all like Rosemond, check out the Mean Mom:
http://www.askmeanmom.com
She has a great sense of humor, and really good advice!
I'd like to comment on July 23, 2007. Mr. Rosemond and his wife were surely very heavily chastised for their premarital indiscretion. You didn't get away with that in the 70s, however enlightened the history says the 70s were.
I believe his website helper was the one that was giving his website a bad image. She got fired...although a bit too late, she destroyed archives of his blogs, etc. I hope everyone checks out his website again www.rosemond.com . His other books share his wild child adolescent and teen years...as well as his own children's foray into independence with ensuing consequences. He's been there, done that. And just because he did it doesn't make it a wise choice for future generations.
Post a Comment