My kids have not been staying in bed at night! We put them down and then they spend the next hour coming down one at a time or together to ask for food, ask for more songs or back scratches, ask for the light on, complain that the other one is talking too much etc. etc. So I decided we need a plan. Something for them to work for.
We made up the "M&M stay in bed" chart. Every night before bed we put 5 M&M's in a plastic bag for each of them and set it on the counter. Once they are tucked in, they have to stay in bed. If they get out, we take an M&M out of their bag, if we hear them playing or talking we take an M&M out of their bag. In the morning we count how many they each have left and that is how many points they get to put on their chart. And then they can eat the M&M's that they have left over. The first person to get 30 points gets a "stay up late" party.
It worked!!! For a whole week they went to bed so well! In total, they each only lost 3 M&M's so they reached 30 points after 7 nights. They both reached it at the same time so they got to have the party together. They got to rent a movie and pick treats out at the store to put in Ice Cream Sundaes. For the party we totally let them go crazy on their sundaes. They made huge ones and luckily didn't eat it all. We are starting the points over again tonight and now they have to get 50 points to earn a party. This has been the best for me because once they're in bed, they're in bed and my free time can start! Yay! So that's my tip for any of you moms out there struggling with children who won't go to sleep. The end.
Here are pictures of my kids gigantic sundaes. Wow. Oh yeah and we rented the move, "8 Below." Which was really good and which made my little 6 year old Lexi bawl her eyes out. It was sweet.

9 comments:
Brilliant, brilliant idea. My kids have been fighting a lot lately. I think I'll use this idea to help encourage them to stop. I'm so grateful for chocolate and the power it has to influence others for good.
I'm glad it worked! They both look so happy! Great idea!
i am totally going to try it! you read my blog about my all-nighter with my 3 kids so i obviously need some ideas! you got some good bedtime tips denae!! i would probably eat all the leftover ice cream tho...
denae, what a great idea! i love it! I am totally going to remember that for when Haley starts to do that! You're so smart! How did you think of that?!! Have a good day and thank you sooooo much for the darling earrings that you sent and nice card! My mom finally sent it to me! So thank you very much!
What a great idea. I need to try that with Henry. Although now that he is stuck up on the top bunk he doesn't come down as often. Calvin on the other hand...
You should write a parenting book Denae - what a great idea! I hope it keeps working. And all I have to say is that there such persuasive power when it comes to sugar!
Hi Denae,
I just found this post while doing a google search for ideas on how to get your kids to stay in bed. This is a struggle every night with my 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old daughters. Your M&M idea is really cute. I hope I can get something like that to work with my kiddos... :)
When I came to your page and saw your picture and your husband's picture I immediately thought you look like Mormons. As I scrolled down I got my evidence when I clicked on your "my church" link.
Congratulations on looking the part. You must be doing something right. :)
i also just found this blog. my 5 year old is the youngest of five and she comes to sleep with us most nights. for a while we just were saying "well, she's the youngest and it won't be forever", well its been a year since we said that and i hate to tell her no if she feels secure at night with us. but, i love the m and m idea. it seems nice and it would be better than just saying no. thanks for the idea. and by the way, we're members, too. thanks again.
Currently, I am struggling w/ this current issue and I am creating tha chart as we speak and implementing this system tomorrow with my 35 month old and 21 month old girls. Thanks for the tip!!!
Post a Comment