So I know a lot of you heard about my experience a couple of years ago when Lexi and Logan had to get shots on the same day and both went burserk and tried to run out the door and hide under the table etc. It was a crazy experience but luckily I was able to laugh through most of it.
Not the case yesterday. So it was Lexi's 5 year old check-up and I wasn't sure if she was going to get shots but I talked to her about it a little bit just in case. When we got there I found out that she did have to get shots so I talked with her some more in the office, and the doctor told her that after this time she wouldn't need anymore until she was 11. So it looked like she was doing ok, a little nervous, but she followed me into the room willingly. However, as soon as I picked her up to hold her on my lap and get ready for the shot, she went absolutely insane. Those of you who know Lexi know that she is a well-behaved, obedient, some-what quiet child. She is also smart and very easy to reason with. She most often listens to what I say and understands what I tell her. I have no idea what causes her to become a bucking bronco with rabies when it's time to get a shot. She went completely bonkers. She started kicking her legs wildly and at the same time she was swinging her upper body back and forth and shaking her head. She jumped face first off of my lap and onto the floor. She also began crying and screaming uncontrollably. She was arching her back and making it almost impossible to hold her. All the while I am trying to talk to her and explain that it will just take a second and pinch for a second and then it will be over with. She knows that shots are to make her healthier and I had explained earlier that she would get a special treat if she was really brave. Somehow the nurse and I got her shirt up and off of her arms and the nurse had the syringes next to us on the table about to administer the shots. At that point Lexi began screaming as loud as she could, "I HATE THIS! I HATE THIS! I'M NOT GOING TO DO THIS! I'M NOT GONNA DO THIS! I HATE THIS!" I, at first, had been laughing out of surprise and disbelief, but at that point I looked over at Logan and saw him sitting in the chair with his hands over his ears bawling his eyes out. I then looked over at Macey in the stroller and saw her also crying in fear and confusion. Before I knew what was happening, as I struggled to hold Lexi on my lap and pin all 4 of her limbs down, tears began to flow from my eyes too (much to my humiliation). So at that point I asked the nurse to stop and back up and I took Lexi into the corner thinking I could calm her down. I asked her what she thought would happen if she really got away and ran out the door. She didn't know so I explained that she had to get the shots and if she ran away we would just have to come back tomorrow. As I am talking she is shaking her head and trying to get her shirt back on, completely disobeying me, which is so unlike her! I was in shock, but knew that we needed to just get it done. So back up to the table we went and while she was yelling and screaming and fighting we were able to pin her 2 legs in between mine and while I held both arms across her body as tight as I could the shots were given. With each poke she screamed as loud as I have ever heard anyone scream. And I am not kidding. When it was finally over she just fell into a heap and bawled. It was the saddest thing ever. I had no idea that she would be so terrified. I guess I should have known because of my last experience but I thought as a big 5 year old I could talk her out of being so scared. So after comforting Logan and Macey and trying to get Lexi to stop crying and walk with me out the door, we entered the waiting room where we were met with stares of shock and horror from the other moms. I just walked right by hoping they wouldn't notice by sweat-drenched back. Later, I asked Lexi if the shots had hurt as much as she thought they would, or if they really were just little pinches that felt fine after a minute. She told me that both arms felt like someone had smashed 4 rocks into them. Wow. It was a traumatizing day for all of us and I have already planned to schedule future immunization days when Dave can be the attending parent. Thanks for letting me vent. Luckily, I have been able to get her to laugh about it a little bit when I tell her that my sweet little Lexi turned into a wild bucking bronco. She laughs a little, but it isn't as funny to her as it might be when she's older and hopefully has a child that does the same thing to her!
Bye for now!
3 comments:
DENAE!! I am soo sorry! Poor Lexi, but even more, poor Denae!
I was on the edge of my seat reading your blog and I almost had tears coming out of my eyes. You painted a very good picture of this traumatic event and I'm just glad you all lived through it!!
Denae this sounds terrible but I was laughing so hard! I felt so bad for Lexi but I was just picturing everything going on and couldn't stop laughing. I am so sorry!!!!
Post a Comment